Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

haXe and/or OpenFL

Has anyone started using OpenFL and/or haXe?  These are cross-platform technologies, designed to support desktop, mobile & consoles.

http://www.openfl.org/

http://haxe.org/com/libs/as3hx

Curious to know if / how people are using these technologies, and whether they are viable for use in porting ActionScript & Flash content.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: haXe and/or OpenFL

[ Edited ]

Not using them myself, but just a comment - I assume there are questions/discussions inside BlackBerry about whether and how much to support AS3/Flash content on BB10 going forward, and I'm guessing you might be trying to inform those discussions w/your question.  

Obviously this forum is pretty quiet of late.  I'm probably not saying something you haven't thought about w/this, but it would probably be good to ask around far and wide on AS3/Flash oriented communities about interest in porting to BB10.  I'm guessing this thread won't get many replies considering the state of this forum.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've used Haxe quite a bit, though never to target BlackBerry. It's a quite stable, mature language and toolchain, with some experimental elements. Haxe does not have its own "built-in" UI framework. As far as I know there are no mature UI frameworks such as Flex available for it. Some experimental work has been done using Starling/Feathers with Haxe.

OpenFL is mainly targetted at games, though some have also used it for "regular" apps. I have not used it.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Best to just allow captive runtime.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

jtegen wrote:

Best to just allow captive runtime.

Thats a differnet topic altogether. The runtime - captive or preinstalled - still needs to be ported to BB10, either by Adobe or by BB. Captive runtime just allows a developer to bundle a specific runtime version with his app. He still needs the runtime to bundle.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

I've been following haXe since version 2.x and I really like the whole idea but unfortunatelly I never worked on any comercial project with it. Just small experiments. I only tested the OpenFL samples and looked promising.

But the lack of exceptional IDEs and, like John said, a very good UI framework makes it harder to use.

Cheers!
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: unknown

[ Edited ]

Hi, if Blackberry drops Air-runtime supports in the next version of BB10, Blackberry should support Haxe/OpenFl. The OpenFL/Haxe extenstions for payment services, mobile UI or invocation framework are really needed for devs. I just googled and just have the only BBM extension and it was still in developed. Without the lack of documents out there, Haxe and OpenFL are really great. Developers can easily port their apps from Air to Haxe/OpenFl. Some classes can be re-typed without thinking. And the apps created with Haxe/OpenFL are really good at performance, start-up time, code execution.... We do not want switch to HTML5 (....Oh NOOO), or native developing anymore... and apps/games recreated with Haxe/OpenFl might read the Shared-Object Data... on user's devices (I have not tried yet- someone can correct me)... Thank you very much!

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 4G
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

OpenFL was developed by a former BlackBerry employee in order to take better advantage of the device hardware. Instead of using an AIR runtime, it targets the Native SDK for BlackBerry.

The FlashDevelop IDE has first-class support for Haxe as well as OpenFL. Other developers on Mac and Linux use Sublime Text (with the Haxe bundle) or IntelliJ IDEA (with the Haxe plugin).

You can still take an OpenFL project and target Flash, you can even target HTML5

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Looks like I'm the only one here deploying apps using Haxe.  

My experience is actually in C/C++, but for my side project, I went straight to Haxe, but picked up AS3 along the way as I needed, to understand Adobe's Flash/AIR.  I think I published my mobile apps in 2011, but had my Flash version created from Haxe a couple years beforehand.

Yes, I had to do the GUI myself, which was painful (not my forte).  Though some people like it, some don't.  Not using each platform's native UI does have the advantage of having everything looks the same on Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows, etc.

I chose Haxe due to it's flexibility, allowing me to produce both server and client code using the same IDE, tools, etc.

Check out ReelPortal and ReelSquare, if you want to see.  It's on all major platforms except Windows Phone and RT.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Hi Blackberry,

OpenFL seems to be getting more and more mature, potentially a good replacement for Adobe Air, but they could get some help from you.

Please check:

https://github.com/openfl/lime/wiki/BlackBerry

Cheers!