Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: blackberry torch
Accepted Solution

how to make the splash screen stay for a particular amount time?

I wanted to keep the splash screen displayed for say about 3-4 seconds before it jumps to the next screen, could anyone please suggest me a method to do so ?

Since by default the splash screen is being displayed for about a fraction of second.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: how to make the splash screen stay for a particular amount time?

I assume you don't want the default splash screen to be displayed for longer... there wouldn't be much point in that.

If you have a custom splash screen, and want it displayed longer, just have your app display a copy of it as the sole thing onscreen for the first few seconds, before switching to your main view.  Searching may show you there are other threads that have covered this.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
My Device: blackberry torch

[ Edited ]

Yes I have a custom splash screen, and as I read in the link you provided and as per your suggestion I displayed a copy of it as the sole thing onscreen, but how to pause it for some seconds before I switch to next screen? Is there some delay() method to do so?

Hey, I did it using setTimeout( method, time in millisecs);

Its working fine. Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Is adding an extra delay really the best option? I understand you have a perhaps nice splash screen, but is it really worth the extra waiting seconds? I would prefer a quick launching app over a fancy splash screen any day.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook V1 and proud of it :-)
My Carrier: Legs

Setting the Splash Screen on screen for longer is the worst possible thing you can do to your app. You are creating delay when there's no need for any. Have you tried to uninstall your app, I have, it's very quick to do. You need to give your user the best experience you can with quick punchy responses, also the BlackBerry is a true multi-tasking machine, they're going to see your screen very little, they also dont care about your logo, or what your splash screen looks like. IMHO.

Keep the Forum productive and useful for all. Click Kudos button if I've helped you. Select Solved to help everyone.

PlayBook qualifying app - Pandoras' Lights
Blog - CoCopia.co.uk Catch me on Twitter cocopia_apps
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

Depends on the reason for wanting to keep it up a little longer. If the UI hasn't been built fully when the splash screen disappears, the user can't do anything anyway and are looking at something that looks broken and locked up. I'd much prefer the presentable splash screen be in place and removed via an event when everything is ready for the user.