Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Java Developer
Accepted Solution

third part pdf libraries

Hi all 

What third part lib you use for display pdf?Since playbook reader will be supported can uou suggest me some good lib?

Thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: third part pdf libraries

I'm expecting, since Adobe Reader will be supported, that there will be an API supporting native display of PDFs in my app.  Since nothing's been announced, I'm just sitting on any PDF capability until we hear more.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Contributor

So the only way to display a pdf inside a container is to wait adobe reader support or there is another way?For my application is extremely important to display pdf inside the application,and not in the browser(but as think to know even browser don't read pdf at the moment for the same problem,adobe reader).

External libraries i have seen create a pdf,i can't find(if they exist) third library for display pdf without adobe reader or another pdf reader.I think support for pdf is very important to develop an application
So no solution for now?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Badge wrote:

So the only way to display a pdf inside a container is to wait adobe reader support or there is another way?

Well, even on a PC one of the primary ways apps display PDFs is to embed the Reader control via whatever embedded techniques and APIs the OS supports.

I'm hoping for something similar.

There are always other options ,but even if there were a pure-ActionScript library to do it (which would be the only other feasible way for now, based on released information), I would expect it that to be extremely slow compared to the "native" support so I'm waiting.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

The only way you can do it in AIR today is to embed the HTML control and reference the PDF in the URL.  This assumes that a PDF reader is installed on the user's computer.  So you're only choice would be to have the QNXStageWebView embedded and do the same thing.  We know that a PDF viewer will come standard on the OS.  I dont think we will have or proabably ever have a pure AS3 library to render a PDF file.

To create a PDF, AlivePDF (alivepdf.org) is probably one of the best to use, but there are others.

Contributor

thank you for the help,i will waiting for too.