Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

using SDK 2 for BB10 - until PlayBook upgrades in the future

I can build an app using SDK 2, deploy it to a PlayBook and all is well.

But I can also deploy it to the BB10 Dev Alpha Simulator  and it works.. libraries as well.

Is this just a case of the BB10 being backward compatible to the SDK 2?

Should I be suspicious that this might not actually work on a real device?

If it does work, I can build One App for both PlayBook and BB10 without switching SDK's.

Yes, I would lose any functions in SDK 3 that are not in SDK 2   but is it really an option?

Later, after PlayBook upgrades to BB10  and  most devices have switched to it, can I rebuild the app with SDK 3 without it being a new app altogther - same ID?

If there are any caveats to this temporary option, I would love to hear them.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: using SDK 2 for BB10 - until PlayBook upgrades in the future

SDK 3 is not backwards compatible to SDK 2. It might work if you are only using basic classes, but I would not trust it.

Yes, you should be able to rebuild when the SDKs are unified later this spring. The app ID has nothing to do with the SDK. The new App World will allow you to distribute BAR files to different devices, with the same app ID. Even descriptions and screen shots can be different in about a month.

I still use SDK 2 for PlayBook and SDK 3 for BB10. I have a lot in common between the two by developing a library that is just AS3 that is used in both environments. Only the UI is different in both because of the SDK and form factor of the devices.