Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Globe

Android OS still feels very "sandboxed"

Are there any plans on having the Android OS catch or create calls (I mean via a command invoke, not a literal call feature Smiley Very Happy) on the Playbook's hardware features thru QNX?

Pretty much like how the Android OS calls the QNX keyboard?

There are Android apps that had the hardware features disabled because they were locked (e.g. camera feature on Skype), but I think is possible to be implemented by having the android drivers call the QNX's hardware assignments (probably via API). Is it possible to have this on the roadmap for Playbook OS's future enhancements?

Contributor

Re: Android OS still feels very "sandboxed"

[ Edited ]

For those who don't get the idea, here's what I mean:

When picking a picture on an Android app, instead of this:

..it should be this:

Another example would be, when taking a picture or recording a video on the Android app, instead of this:

..it should be this:

And this is possible by redirecting the calls from Camera.apk or Gallery.apk to QNX API's. This will make the Android player have a unified experience. Please confirm if this can be applied on all the Playbook's hardware features. Thanks.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

I totally agree with you, same with browser links, notification service...

Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Contributor

Yeah, and it would result to less memory consumption, as we will not be calling a separate android core app just to emulate a specific hardware function, when we have the same function on the QNX, pre-loaded but just sitting there, waiting to be called. Smiley Frustrated