Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Contributor
My Device: na
My Carrier: na
Accepted Solution

Android run time Arabic support

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I'm trying to port multi language application to BB10.

The porting is almost porfect but the Arabic characters were not properly linked and aligned.

For example, The following label should appear like this:

دخول

but it appears like this:

د خ و ل

The BB10 device has arabic support, though I suspect that the problem is with the Android runtime support for Arabic. 

Please advice.

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Android run time Arabic support

I believe this limitation exists in the Android Gingerbread OS 2.3.3 as they do not fully support Arabic. When we move to an updated Android Runtime base OS, additational language support would be added.

Cheers,

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Contributor

We are testing our application on Samsung Galaxy S2 which has Android Gingerbread OS 2.3.3 insalled and it is working perfectly.

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hello,

Based on this logged issue for Gringerbread 2.3.3 Issue 16488 this accurately describes what you are seeing. You might have had a specific OS update/build from your carrier.

I'm not sure if this would work, but you might be able to convert your text to display correctly with help from this website: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7962704/how-to-support-arabic-text-in-android

Please let me know if that is of any help.

Cheers,

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

Actually I tried to run the application on a created imulator with OS 2.3.3 (Google APIs) and the Arabic support was perfect.

As stated in the discussion at Android forum the problem exists with the 2.3.3 version but seems that the imulator given has some improvements.

For now I think the solution given at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7962704/how-to-support-arabic-text-in-android will help because I did similar implementation on SonyEricsson W880 with acceptable result.

Thanks again.