Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: None

Re: Any plans for supporting Android Native Code?

I my application I am using "stlport_shared" library from android ndk. I guess there is support for stl in blackberry ndk as well.
Can I use the stl port's .so from blackberry and put that in my app to compile it for blackberry?
Developer
My Device: Simulator - developer
My Carrier: No provider

@jdreher: Your response sounds as if it is possible to use BlackBerry NDK to port/reimplement those parts of Android apps, that are written in c++/jni.

Did I understand your post correctly, is it possible to port or rewrite just the native parts of an android app, or do we have to port entire apps to BlackBerry NDK in order to be able to use any native code at all?

My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Hey guys, I'm on the same boat. I use the Android libraries from mapping authority ESRI ArcGIS and they are using NDK. Why would it be so hard to let apps be submitted with the Android NDK, just to force developers to use BB NDK?

Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS 2.1 - Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: WiFi

Exactly! Some libraries are compiled in JNI. And with the recent Android Runtime leaks/hacks out there, it leads to a lot of finger pointing to BlackBerry of why they decided to say that the Android Runtime does not support native libraries when infact, it does.

Including support for compiled JNI libraries will open the door for apps that are programmed in Java that just use third party libraries. I would love to use LibGDX libraries on BB10 and Playbook. Hundreds of games use that library. Games that are not written in C++.

So when BlackBerry says just use our own NDK for your native apps, that is not helping the people who program in java but use native third party libraries.

Brian Ouellette
Twitter: @Brian_Enders
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

It's not supported partly because it's a hard problem to solve Smiley Happy  Just think about what this involves; taking something compiled with the Android NDK and having it "just run" on QNX.

If it were simply compiling your native assets with the QNX toolchain, and then loading it within your Android app, well that's different (and easy) but not exactly what developers are looking for when they're looking for Android NDK support.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Simyo

[ Edited ]

bbenninger wrote:

If it were simply compiling your native assets with the QNX toolchain, and then loading it within your Android app, well that's different (and easy)

You mean easy as in "easy to use for App developers"? Or as in easy for the developers at RIM Blackberry to implement using QNX API's through JNI in a future version of the Android runtime on BB10?

You say it's not exactly what developers are looking for when they're looking for Android NDK support, but if it was possible to call API's made with the QNX toolchain in your Android apps via JNI, the libgdx devs will be able to port libgdx's performance critical stuff such as OpenGL (that's currently written with the NDK) to native QNX and use that in the Android runtime via JNI. Then libgdx would be able to support blackberry and the topic starter (and most of the others who posted here) would have what he was looking for.

Here's some more information on libgdx:

Official site: http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

Google code project: https://code.google.com/p/libgdx/

bbenninger I'm not sure what BlackBerry Development Advisor means but if you have contacts with the developers of the Android runtime, please make them consider adding this feature if it's as "easy" as you said. It would give BB a lot more games Smiley Happy

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

It's easy as in there are no hurdles with QNX running libraries compiled with it's toolchain.  There is just no android-qnx tooling for this, so it'd be a bit of a manual process (compile with our tools and manually add to your android project, etc).

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

@LeeJohn,

You made my day here, I share everything you are mentioned 100%.

Developers in BB should hear the voices of the developers worldwide and consider what they really need.

For me BB support on Android is just useless...

Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

bbenninger wrote:

It's easy as in there are no hurdles with QNX running libraries compiled with it's toolchain.  There is just no android-qnx tooling for this, so it'd be a bit of a manual process (compile with our tools and manually add to your android project, etc).

Alright well please post it on this thread if this becomes possible then I'll look into it Smiley Happy

Developer

[ Edited ]