Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 10 Dev Alpha Simulator
My Carrier: N/A

App is crashing for user, how do I debug?

I have an Android app that's ported to Blackberry and it's crashing for the user.  No Android users have encountered this issue.  In Google Play, I would normally receive an error report along with the stack frame.  Is there any way to get this from BlackBerry?

Also, how would I go about giving this user a test app to try?  Or would I need to guess and update the app for everyone and hope it works?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: App is crashing for user, how do I debug?

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for stopping by the forums.

I would suggest leveraging our newest Android 2.0.1 toolset, in particular the "blackberry-adbproxy -gui" command. This will allow you to test/debug the application within your existing IDE of choice, and attempt to reproduce the issue which your end-user is experiencing. 

The SDK is very light-weight and really easy to use (ie, just press Play).

BlackBerry Developer Blog: Android Tools 2.0

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/10/just-posted-blackberry-tools-for-android-development-2-0-beta/

BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps: Tools

https://developer.blackberry.com/android/tools/

James Dreher
BlackBerry Development Advisor
New Contributor
My Device: 10 Dev Alpha Simulator
My Carrier: N/A

The user isn't doing anything unique, just a straight-forward operation that works for most everyone else.   So there's no way to get debug information from the user?

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Life:)

implement UncaughtExceptionHandler
and attach it when creating activity using Thread.setDefaultUncaughtExceptionHandler(this);
In those implemented methods you can caught uncaught exception, get its stackTrace even send it somewhere(email, post request etc.)