Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

App shows visual glitches in Playbook Simulator

I used the BlackBerry Plugin for Android Development Tools to create an executable for the BlackBerry playbook simulator. As source I used an app that is already in the Android Market and works perfectly on smart phones and tablets. 
The whole bb app creation process worked and I can run the app in the simulator. 

It's a very simple app. My app basically consists of Buttons and ToggleButtons. The ToggleButtons 'checked' state changes when I press the buttons and vice versa. Additionally there's a TextView and a couple of ImageViews. 
Nothing fancy. App is only a couple hundred lines of code. 

But the app in the simulator shows a lots of visual glitches. 

1. The app is portrait-only. (android:screenOrientation="portrait" in manifest for all activities)But the simulator gets that kinda wrong. Simulator switches its "app display" to landscape mode and draws the app in portrait layout. That means the app is shrinked in vertical direction and stretched in horizontal direction.
  2. When I press a button the display flickers. Often interface elements disappear, usually they reappear after the next flickering. 
  3. If the code changes the checked state of ToggleButtons sometimes nothing happens, except some screen flickering.
  4. When I press a button random buttons (usually those around the pressed button) get highlighted too.
  5. When I open another activity (my app preferences) and return to the main activity a button press shows parts of the preferences activity
  6. sometimes a "copy" of the whole screen content is displayed shifted to the left if I press a button 

The app is basically unusable in the simulator.
Unfortunately I don't own a playbook so I can't figure out if these are simulator-only problems or if my code/layout is really that broken.

Has anybody experienced similar problems with the simulator?

Maybe it's my VMWare version? I'm running VMWare Fusion Version 4.1.1 (536016) (on OS X Lion 10.7.3)
And it asked me if I want to upgrade the simulator image, which I tried but after that the simulator doesn't start at all. 

What is the recommended version of VMWare Fusion?

YoX
Visitor
My Device: Android
My Carrier: Telia

Re: App shows visual glitches in Playbook Simulator

I have exactly the same problem with flickering in my app. I only use standard UI-elements like buttons and textviews.

I use VMWare Player 4.0.0 on Windows 7 32-bit.

New Contributor
My Device: Emulator
My Carrier: Emulator

I got the same problem, somewhere here in the topics is stated of the flickering. Also curious about the other points.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Hi, what version of the simulator or bbos are you using, I remember I have seen the same issue on the real PlayBook, where the android player would use the portrait layout stretched in landscape, and the landscape layout squeezed in portrait.
Now on is 2.0.0.7111, this seems to be fixed for me...
Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

I am also having the orientation issues with my app. It also seems like whenever I click a button the simulator is continuously clicking the button and won't stop until I click something else. smugrik, are you using an actual playbook or the simulator? If there is a 2.0.0.7111 simulator can you point the way please?
Developer

I am using an actual PlayBook

Julien
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Developer

to clarify: the only problem I have seen on the real PlayBook is 1: portrait/landscape mode inverted, appart from that, no flicker, no glitches, I never used the Simulator...

My app have several screen, a customized list, android preference screen, popup windows, and an Android WebView to display help, all is working flawlessly on the PlayBook

Julien
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: Break Wind

If I already had a real PlayBook for development, why would I go to the trouble of porting my app in order to get a free PlayBook??
New Contributor
My Device: Emulator
My Carrier: T-Mobile DE

I have experienced the same UI stretching problem in the simulator. The only solution I found until now was to enable landscape orientation for my activities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Visitor
My Device: n/a
My Carrier: n/a

[ Edited ]

I'm also having this problem with my Android app, any interaction with the UI causes flickering and parts of the UI to linger (menu/activities).

Using VMware player 4.0.2 on winXP, simulator 2.0.0-6147-Win-201112070358.exe which seems to be the latest from here https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/tool

Found this:

The flickering screen issue appears to be simulator related.  I haven't seen it on a real device and as far as I'm aware no one has reported flickering on a real BlackBerry PlayBook.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Plug-in-for-Android/How-to-change-simulator-orient...