Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Playbook and Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Automatically install bar files

Hey guys. I have developed an alternative to Blackberry App World, with converted Android apps available in BAR format. I have the downloading of the app to the main download folder on the playbook/z10 phones. It does not install though. Does anyone have any idea on how we can use our app store to automatically install the apps?

Our app store was written for Android and is converted to a BAR file for the playbook/z10, so thought this would be an appropriate forum.

You can check our app out, if you know how to sideload in BAR files - http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/?did=348

Check out our blog at http://goodereader.com/blog/
Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Automatically install bar files

I don't completely understand what you are trying to say. Does your application doesn't want to install? Or do you mean the applications (in the form of a BAR) that are downloaded via your app that do not want to install?

On Blackberry 10 it is not possible to install applications from BAR directly on the device, as far as I know. You always need a computer (using DDPB, BB Graphical Aid or IDE) to install applications.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
New Developer
My Device: Playbook and Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Hey, thanks for replying. I need to employ a system that would automatically install BAR files with my app. My app installs just fine using the chrome plugin or DDPB, but once itrs installed on a playbook or z10/q10 i need it to automatically install BAR files, similar to the way Blackberry World automatically installs apps. You figure if Blackberry can do it with their own official app client, then the code infastructure exists for 3rd parties to do the same thing.

Check out our blog at http://goodereader.com/blog/
Highlighted
Developer

I think that it is probably possible. But because you are using the Android emulator, it could be that you are fenced from some of the real possibilities of the devices.. Maybe you should consider using a Native application, I guess that this will give you more options to make your app work.

On a side note, I hope you get it working, I would love to use your application if it does. If you have found a way to make it work, let me know :-)

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Awesome. I think I foud a way a while ago to install them directly from the Playbook. I'm going to look for the app.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I just rememberd it was called localbar. But it doesn't seem to wrk anymore. Still looking

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Tata docomo

Can any one please Tell me how to install bar file directly on playboy because i tried to install Good e-reader app store bar file or any other bar file directly on playbook then while installing i am getting error "unable to find default app"....please help me..Thank You in advance 

Developer

sureshkadam02 wrote:

Can any one please Tell me how to install bar file directly on playboy because i tried to install Good e-reader app store bar file or any other bar file directly on playbook then while installing i am getting error "unable to find default app"....please help me..Thank You in advance 

This isn't really the topic to ask that question. But to answer your question anyway: I always use the technique explained here [1]. Be aware that some apps are not working on the Playbook, so it could be that the installation fails for that reason.

[1]: http://crackberry.com/sideloading-made-easy-playbook-app-manager-browser-plugin

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10

Hi,

I am not aware of any way to install bar files downloaded to the device, nor for OTA install.

However starting with OS 10.2.1 you install downloaded Android .apk files by simply launching them. So if your apps are already Android ports, then you could deliver them as .apk.

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10 LE, Q10 And PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Amazon app store has official app in BlackBerry App World so that users can download apk to their BlackBerry device but most of apps like system level apps are violate permission of app required.. so the app crash after installation.. major game and entertainment app are working great.. goodlereader I have checked your website and download many apps some work on BlackBerry some won't.. I think all apps. Bar must be tested again on physical device ...
Hit Like if you find my post Use Full Thank You...