Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

How to port Android application that is based on android Service to Blackberry 10

Hi,

I am trying to port existing android application to Blackberry 10 and came to know from this link (porting limitations) that Blackberry 10 wont support background services in the application.

Basically the Service in my existing application listens for several state changes such as Network State Change, Phone State Change, etc

As Blackberry 10 dont support background services, could someone please let me know if any  alternative solution/workaround exists to achieve my required functionality.

Thank a lot in advance.

Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: How to port Android application that is based on android Service to Blackberry 10

As far as I know this functionality is not available yet, and there is also no real work-around. The only thing that I can think of is to leave the app open, so some of the services will work. But this needs the cooperation of the user, and as a developer this not really something you will always get.

If I recall correctly, those headerless applications (or how to they call those) are something they want to introduce in coming updates. But as I cannot remember where I read this, I can give no guarantees :-)

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
New Contributor
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: How to port Android application that is based on android Service to Blackberry 10

@ndsmyter, Thanks a lot for sharing the information. 

I too did enough analysis and YES, we need to wait for the new updates and see whether they make android Service available to run with background apps in Blackberry 10 porting.