Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I can't get the Android Runtime to work at all in any Simulator, but it works just fine on a device

I have loaded multiple Blackberry Simulators on two different Windows machines -- one using the VMWare Player as recommended and the other using VMWare Workstation (which I use on my dev computer to run other Windows virtual machines).

I can load, run, debug Blackberry Native apps with no problems.  But no matter what I do the Android Runtime simply "crashes" almost immediately when trying to run or debug an Android app packaged for Blackberry as a bar file.

I have tried using the command-line tools apk2bar and blackberry-deploy which have put the app on the Simulator, but when I run it I see the Android Runtime start by filling the screen with black and after a short pause the Simulator reboots.

If I use Eclipse to try to run or debug the app I see the console message "Launching BlackBerry Android Runtime..." and I see the Android Runtime start up (the screen expands to all black), but within a second or two the Android Runtime obviously exits (the normal Blackberry screen comes back) and Eclipse then can't connect to adb (which makes sense because the Android Runtime exited).

Again, I've loaded multiple versions of the Simulator on two different Windows machines.  Again, the Simulator itself works fine running Blackberry native apps including debugging them.  Only the Android Runtime crashes/exits/reboots the Simulator when I try running an Android app packaged for Blackberry.

I've looked for possible solutions on this board, but can't find any.  Any ideas?  Is the Simulator really working for other people when running Android Runtime apps?  Does the Android Runtime depend on any external resource that perhaps I don't have installed on my Windows machines?  I would doubt that, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Developer
My Device: Simulator - developer
My Carrier: No provider

Re: I can't get the Android Runtime to work at all in any Simulator, but it works just fine on a device

I am experiencing exactly the same problems as you are. On my machine I can not solve the problem, but on my co-worker's machine, the solution was to follow these steps:

1. Run the simulator in normal mode, not safe mode

2. Give the virtual machine 2 cores and give it a high enough priority to run

3. Run the simulator on new powerful hardware with Nvidia or ATI graphics, Intel onboard graphic cards will always fail.

I hope this will help.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: I can't get the Android Runtime to work at all in any Simulator, but it works just fine on a device

Hello,

What version of the simulator are you currently using? As mentioned, make sure you are not running in Safe Mode as there is a known issue that can cause instability for Android apps.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you so much for the help.

It occurred to me a day after I finally posted my message asking for help that it was probably video card/driver related and, in fact, told my coworker I was pretty sure that was the only explanation considering other people have no problems yet I have the exact same problems with every version of the Simulator I've tried.

Yes, I have to run the simulator in safe mode because on both computers the video hardware doesn't support the simulator's video drivers.

Knowing that is definitely the problem is a big help.  If this solution was previously posted I apologize for missing it, but thank you all for confirming it for me.

Time to get updated hardware just to run the Simulator.