Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: 10 Dev Alpha Simulator
My Carrier: N/A

Keyboard not working for Android apps

I ported over my Android apps and they run on the simulator, but I can't do any keyboard input.  If I bring up the browser, I can enter information there from my desktop keyboard or bring up the on-screen keyboard and enter. But when I use my apps, nothing gets added on screen.

I want to properly test all of these apps before I upload them.  Any suggestions?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Keyboard not working for Android apps

Hello,

What version of the simulator are you currently using? Is this BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10?

Thanks,

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
New Contributor

BlackBerry 10,  BB10_0_09-2318

Retired

Hello,

I just had our dev team re-test this and could not reproduce the issue. Perhaps try a full restart of the simulator and try again?

Thanks,

Matt Whiteman
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook & BlackBerry 10 Simulator
My Carrier: -

Hi,

I have the same issue. Here are the details:

• The OS version (On the device, tap the Settings icon > About > General > OS Version) : 10.0.9.2318
  • An overview of the issue: the simulator keyboard is not working for Android application.
  • Steps used to reproduce the issue: 1. start the application, 2. click on a text field, 3. swipe from bottom left corner to show the keyboard, 4.try to type something => whatever I type, the text field is empty
  • Reproducibility of the issue: all the time

Any suggestions?

Retired

Hello,

This should work. A couple tips: Make sure to click into your application. We have a new mouse drivers which helps getting your cursor in and out of the simulator. So to make sure text input is directed at the simulator, click your mouse cursor into your application. Also, you should be able to use both a physical and virtual keyboard. To display the virtual keyboard, click in the bottom left corner of the simulator window and the virtual keyboard will be shown. You can use this keyboard or your desktop keyboard to input text into your applications.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Matt Whiteman
New Contributor

I'll do a full uninstall/reinstall of the simulator. If that doesn't work, can I send my BAR somewhere to see its it's just me?
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook & BlackBerry 10 Simulator
My Carrier: -

Hi,

I've looked over your suggestions, I've also uninstalled/reinstalled the simulator and the keyboard problem is still there.

My starting activity has 2 text fields and 2 buttons. I can click the buttons and it's ok. When I click on a text field, I can see the cursor, everything seems fine, but when trying to type something using the virtual keyboard or the desktop keyboard, the text field remains empty.

Is it possible to try the app with an older version of the simulator? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Retired

This should work perfect fine in the latest simulator version.(10.0.2318) Just so I can verify, are you using Windows or Mac? Also, have you tried a Android sample application like Notepad to rule any other possible issues with your applications?

Thanks,

Matt Whiteman
New Contributor

I went into the VM Player settings and changed "Enhanced virtual keyboard" to "Use if available" and the processors virtualization enginre preferred mode to "Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" and now it's working.  I tried changing settings back to see which one caused it, but it seems to work either way.

Now it's just waiting for the vendor approval!  Woohoo!