Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Magnetometer workaround for AIR app

Android developer's are fortunate in that thePB's  magnetometer is available and working in the player.. Unfortunately my native AIR app won't have access until NDK 2.0 is released and some kind C++ developer provides an ANE. Meanwhile I am exploring possible ways to fast-track testing features that require access to the compass.  The augmented reality features that I want to add to my astronomy app are quite complex and I am looking for a way to get a head start on development. I think that a temporary work-around would be useful for other AIR developers who are wanting to include AR features in their apps but are being held up by SDK limitations..

Woiuld it be possiblee to build an Android daemon app to provide manetometer readings via a socket connection?Could a native AIR app communicate with such a service running in the Android player?  Does such an app already exist and if so, how can I get my hands on it?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Magnetometer workaround for AIR app

Local socket connections are not supported.

You could write data to the file system to share it with other applications.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker