Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Ported Android Application Upgrade Issue "NEED HELP"

I recently uploaded my new app in Blackberry World, this is a port from my Android app.  We noticed we had some bugs we needed to work out and we did.  However, when I tried to posted the update in my portal, I got an error stating it was rejected.

The error stated "Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle.

After talking with my developer that did the port for me, he informed me the first time they signed the app for BB world they didn't create the P12 file correctly. So now instead of just updating the app, they had to create a new P12 file and password for the signing of the app.

This wouldn't be an issue if my app wasn't already in the BB world.  I have users that have purchased my app and i've been told once I publish this new build they will not be able to get the update and they would have to pay again if they wanted any future updates.

Obviously this is not good business practice and i don't want to do this to my customers.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can fix this issue?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Ported Android Application Upgrade Issue "NEED HELP"

You can write to developer support to have them fix the signing issue for you.  They know that this kind of thing happens, and they can patch things up on their end to mitigate it.  Obviously however, it will not endear anyone to developer support if signing keys have to get reassigned again and again.  Once they have fixed if for you, don't forget to thank them, and be sure to review your work and release flow to make sure it doesn't happen again.  My 2c.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The author.p12 file (Developer Certificate) can be changed without causing issues.

The important part is to sign the application with the same BlackBerry code signing keys (old way) or a BlackBerry ID Token (new way) created from the same BlackBerry ID account you used the first time.  If your code signing keys were linked to BlackBerry ID, you can simply log into BlackBerry ID and download a new BlackBerry ID Token.

More details on using BlackBerry ID tokens can be found here:  Code Signing Keys Be Gone! Welcome BlackBerry ID

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi,

I was using the AIR method of creating a BAR file which used the BlackBerry code signing keys, but I've been trying to switch my apps to the APK to BAR method which requires the BlackBerry ID Token.  I've made sure the 'id' or app name doesn't have the 'air' prefix (which could have been the problem, but isn't), and I made sure i used the same bar name as original, and I've increased the release number (to 3.0), but I still get the message

"File bundle (myapp.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle."

The only thing I can think of at this point is that I had to switch from the old signing keys method to the new token method.  Does this mean I have to resubmit as a brand new app? or is there any sort of a work around.

Since the AIR method is being discontinued, I don't understand how there isn't a 'simple' way of updating to the new apk to bar method.

You can still use the older code signing keys with the new BlackBerry tooling, but I do recommend using a BlackBerry ID Token.  You'll just need to link your existing code signing keys to your BlackBerry ID account first.  Read this blog post for all the details.

Code Signing Keys Be Gone! Welcome BlackBerry ID

Mark Sohm

New Contributor

M Sohm,

Thanks. I didn't see the part about linking my token to my older ids. I'll give that a try later today. Hopefully this works (and the error message finally goes away) Smiley Very Happy

Cheers.

New Contributor

Update:

I'm having a little trouble linking my token to my other ids.  

I have sdk 2.1 (Playbook?) and 3.2.1(Blackberry 10?) that both have a blackberry-signer file in them.  I tried the command prompt with 2.1 and was getting the error message that '-linkcsk' is an illegal operation.  I then used 3.2.1 instead and it said "-cskpass must be specified", so I added -cskpass (my password) on the end of the command, but now I'm getting this:

"Key PBDT is not registered"

I do have a client-PBDT-(unique number).csj file on my computer (it's one level up from where the sdk 3.2.1 is) and as far as I know it is registered. So I'm not sure what to do from here?

Please note: I just tried it again without the "-cskpass (my password) " and it still says "Key PBDT is not registered"

Developer

[ Edited ]

I had been blowing off the new BBID token method forever, and recently tried to link my old signing keys to my BBID, but I keep getting an error message that my CSK password is wrong.  I have followed the instructions in the dev blog post carefully, triple checked all passwords, verified that I'm using a supported SDK (AIR 10.2.1 gold in this case), downloaded the BBID token to the recommended location ... all to no avail.

Apparently there is some persnickety detail about the linking procedure that is not captured in the dev blog instructions.

Note that you need blackberry-signer version 3.0.9+ in order to use BlackBerry ID Tokens.  That isn't available in any of the PlayBook SDKs.  BlackBerry 10.2+ SDKs have support for this.  You can verify your version by running "blackberry-signer" without any arguments.  The version will be listed on the first line.

For the password issue, make sure your are using a BlackBerry ID Token password that is 10 characters or less.  The form caps the password length at 10, but doesn't give a visual indicator if you try to type or paste something longer.

Mark Sohm

Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Mark.

My linking attempts meet all the requirements you mentioned, yet I still get an error message saying I'm using the wrong CSK password:

1) I'm using blackberry-signer version 3.0.9, from the BB10 AIR 10.2.1 gold SDK (not from the PlayBook SDK).

2) My legacy barsigner.csk, barsigner.db, and author.p12 files are in the default location on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Research in Motion

3) I have confirmed that I can still use the legacy signing key signing flow, including confirming that I am entering my legacy CSK password correctly (i.e. I can successfully communicate w/the RIM signing authority and sign a bar file).

4) For all attempts at linking my BBID token to my legacy signing keys, I have used a 10 character password to generate the BBID token. My legacy CSK password is 14 characters.

5) I have tried all variations of the following:

a) Using a BBID token password that is completely different from my legacy CSK password.
        b) Using a BBID token password that is matches the first 10 characters of my legacy CSK password.
        c) Placing the BBID token csk file in the default location, alongside my legacy signing files.
        d) Placing the BBID token csk file in a different directory, and providing the full path to it with the -bbidtoken argument to blackberry-signer.

6) From one of my attempts, I appear to have created a bbt_id_rsa and a bbt_id_rsa.pub file in the default csk file location.

7) The exact text of the error message I get from blackberry-signer is:

Error: The signature on the code signing request didn't verify. The likely cause of this problem is entering an incorrect CSK password.

8) If I leave the downloaded bbidtoken.csk file in the default location, my legacy signing key based signing flow breaks, with the error message:

Error: The specified CSK password is not valid.

9) If I then remove the downloaded bbidtoken.csk file from the default location, my legacy signing key based signing flow works again (i.e. I can contact the signing authority and get a status message from blackberry-signer stating that the bar file was successfully signed).

As I said, it appears that there is some glitch or side condition that is not accounted for in the signing key linking procedures that were published in the dev blog article.