Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Re: Upgraded to 2.0, but can't sideload Android apps

[ Edited ]

Yes, after the wipe I connected my PlayBook to the BBDM, it showed that an update is available (1.0.7, it actually thought that it is an upgrade, not a downgrade), so I confirmed, let it download and install and it booted up with 1.07 innit. Next day I registered for an update again and updated to 2.0

UPDATE:

I did the Security Wipe as I was adviced earlier and managed to install Android Apps on my PlayBook...finally Smiley Happy

So I'll try to point out some things I learned while solving this problem - I wasn't able to install Android Apps because previously on 1.07 I had the leaked Android Player installed (even though I did not get it working earlier and uninstalled it before updating to 2.0) , so what you need to do if you have exactly the same issue is:

1) Register for the 2.0 beta update even if you're running it already.

2) Wait for about an hour (just to be sure) and do a Security Wipe, but you HAVE TO do it before the 24 hours time window ends, otherwise you'll be stuck with an empty system (if you will, connect your PB to the Desktop Manager, let it "update" to the official 1.0.7 and repeat step 1 and 2).

3) Connect your charging cable and let the Playbook boot after the wipe, it should offer you the 2.0 update right after it boots up or after you select your language (not 100% sure when exactly, but nevermind) - let it download and install

4) Press Reboot button that appears on your screen, let it reboot, you should have all the native apps like App World, Camera, Docs To Go available, if you got only Browser, you must have screwed up step n.2

5) Go to Settings - Storage & Sharing and turn on WiFi Sharing option, next go to Security - Developer Mode - enable it and set new password, also check if you're connected to WiFi.

That's it, now you should be able to install all the apps needed Smiley Wink Hope this one helps someone.

This is how it should look

New Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook
My Carrier: 3064910544

I've got a similar issue.

I have the signing keys, debug token and certs all loaded and registered. I've repackaged a couple of Android APKs to .bar files and installed them on the playbook using "DDPB INstaller", where it showed me the apps were 'done' installing. They all show in my apps list on the Playbook, (Twitter, Tweetcaster, Email, wordpress), but when i try to launch them, they open quickly and then close. I can't figure out why this is. The apps have all been signed, and the playbook is in developer mode, ive checked eveything to ensure I've got Eclipse set up right and all my keys are registered, debug token is loaded up and valid.

Please help. 

Thanks!

Jesse

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Your applications are crashing on startup.  Can you connect the debugger to the PlayBook and step through your code to see where the crash occurs?  I recommend starting a new thread with your findings.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook
My Carrier: 3064910544

It's all good now, backed it up to 1.0.7, then re-installed 2.0 beta and uploaded the debug token again. must have been an old version of Android player messing things up. Apps are working now.

Thanks!