Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

What Dev Alpha Version should I develop on?

Hi  guys,

I have managed to proclaim a STL100-2 which is the Limited Edition. Since I am developing through the Android Runtime, I am noticing the Native Bar with back button and menu icon on the Bottom of the screen. This is only happening in the OS10.2, it is forcing the ART app to accommodate in the lesser screen width and height, thereby causing a total contraction of the UI. And the funniest part is that we cannot get control over it using the Android Runtime, appearance nor existence.

I want to ask which OS version should I be developing on? Should I stick with the 10.2 update available on the Developer.BlackBerry.com or should I downgrade it and continue my older OS version.

I am not  sure which OS version is available commercially, and which of the OS version on the STL100-2 simulates the real device.

BTW after I updated my STL100-2, the gallery and a lot of other icons disappeared ?

Regards

Rick

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: What Dev Alpha Version should I develop on?

Hello Rick,

Thanks for stopping by the forums.

As of BlackBerry OS 10.2, the BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps includes the bottom navigation bar instead of only relying on the diagonal swipe to go back to a previous screen. While the new navigation bar may require your app to be slightly refactored, it leads to a much easier user experience to the end-user who is expecting a UI/UX closer to the Cascades feel that is baked in throughout the OS.

Also within BlackBerry 10.2 is the update to the Android runtime to support Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (API 17) which will improve performance (hardware acceleration), API compatibility and a include more friendly UI.

James Dreher
Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for the update.

Can you please help out with the following as well:

1. Is there any way to remove the bar? 

2. Do I make my current version of apps and games compatible for 10.2 or continue with 10.1? The UI is creating a lot of issues therefore I might have to change the complete app's visual appeal which is nearly an impossible task!

3. When is the 10.2 rolling out globally to all commecial BlackBerry 10 users?

Regards

Rick

Contributor

Hi James.

There are a few more questions as well.

1. Does 10.2 support render script, although it is supported from the API level 12 on Android.

2. What are the benefits for the game developers, working on ART other than Hardware acceleration, is it support "software and hardware layers in surface view"?

3. Is  JNI supported in latest ART API?

4. Is there any support for Audio manager class and different audio stream types.

5. As it documented that each ART app will run in its own virtual machine, so is it possible to get the output of any service or Result Receiver outside the application?

6. Is there Bluetooth Support in new API as it was not given in API level10?

Regards

Rick

Highlighted
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hey Rick!

- The bottom navigation bar is not currently removable. We are looking into feedback from various individuals (yourself included) as well on this topic.

- Within the BlackBerry World vendor portal, you can choose to make your app available for either 10.1 or 10.2 devices. The choice is yours based on which OS you are going to target. Personally, I would make it available for both to widen your potential audience.

- The 10.2 release date has yet to be announced, but keep checking our blogs (devblog.blackberry.com) to stay up to date on any announcements.

- At this point in time, support for RenderScript is not available. We hope to add support in a future release.

- The Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update will bring some impressive performance improvements for game developers in addition to the API level 17 support.

- Native code (JNI) is not supported within the BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps.

- Documentation regarding media support can be found within our API section below:

https://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/unsupported_api_jellybean_media.html

https://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/unsupported_api_jellybean_media_formats.html

- The BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps does not support headless apps (only on the BlackBerry Native/Cascades platform at the moment), so the app will be required to stay minimized as an active tile.

- Bluetooth connectivity is not currently supported in the 10.2 release

Hopefully this helps!

James Dreher