Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

My Device: torch
My Carrier: Optimus

measuring tape for real estate

[ Edited ]

I work in real estate. I am looking for software for my Blackberry, which measure the areas ofhomes.
I have found software to measure distance by GPS, but is not that I need.
The iPhone has a software that uses the camera.
Can anyone help?

(Personal info deleted)gmail.com

My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: measuring tape for real estate

[ Edited ]

If that is how you measure the area of rooms, I won't be buying a house from you anytime soon ;-)

Seriously, there are three ways one could theoretically do it, none of them good:

1. use GPS - not accurate, especially not indoors;
  2. place an object of known size (e.g. a piece of reflective card, the emergency triangle from your car or a credit card) against a wall. Place the device against an opposite wall. Take a picture, use a feature detection algorithm to find the "object", measure its size in the photo, then use trigonometry to calculate the distance. You'll probably have to calibrate for the effect of the EDoF lens, and compensate for the angle you hold the device at. Not very user friendly compared to a laser range-finder, and limited to the accuracy of the camera (megapixels etc) and precision of the user;
  3. sound a series of very short clicks. While you are doing that, record the sound that reflects of the opposite surface. Filter out the original signal. Calculate with speed of sound, compensating for speed variations due to temperature, air pressure, humidity and whatever. Average. You could also use low frequency sound and measure at what frequency standing waves start occuring. I doubt whether the PB could generate such low frequency sounds at sufficient SPL. Either way, it probably won't work for very long or very short distances, or very narrow or oddly shaped rooms, upholstered walls, noisy environments, or outdoors.

#1 or #2, perhaps combined, may be OK for a very rough estimate, but I wouldn't consider any of these accurate enough for real-estate use. Here in Europe there are even laws about the accuracy of published areas in real-estate listings.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: measuring tape for real estate

You can also spend $5 on a tape measure since none of the very cool suggestions can have errors based on wall color, surface texture and surrounding materials. You can also buy laser ruler that are fast and accurate (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/STRAIT-LINE-6041401CD-Sonic-Laser-Tape/dp/B0002VM7OY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=13...