Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: 8800
My Carrier: verizon

using Android Runtime to access jar file...

Hello all

I've got a question about the Android runtime.

I've got a jar file compiled to run on Android.  Can I convert it via the Android conversion tool and then have a UI (either native or Adobe Air) access it?  

Mark

Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: using Android Runtime to access jar file...

If you have an apk of an Android application, you should be able to port it to BB10.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8800
My Carrier: verizon

Yes, I've done that.  This is a little different.

My Android app has 2 parts, a UI and a jar file that communicates with a server.  

I want to remove the UI (long story, I know it makes no sense) and compile the jar file into an app that is then converted  to run on BlackBerry 10 via the Eclipse plugin.

I wasn to write either a native BlackBerry 10 UI or one with Adobe Air and have it access the jar file that's been converted.

Basically, I don't want to rewrite the stuff in the jar file.  

Mark

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

As far as I know you cannot convert the jar to a BB10 app.
But I guess it will be possible to make your BB10 access the jar file directly (if this is one of the assets of the BB10 app). I have no idea how you can do this, and if it will be possible.. I think you will just have to try and see what it gives. (or maybe somebody else on this forum can you help you with this ?)

I have no idea if the syntax to communicate with a jar on BB10 is the same as in Android. Because Android (= java) it will be much easier to communicate with the jar from Android than from BB10.

My suggestion would be, that if your jar is working in Android, you make an Android application (if you haven't done it already), and try to port that Android application to BB10. That would be a lot less work I think. I know you said you don't want to do this, but I think it could be a lot of work otherwise.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter