Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: STC

Re: BBM not working unless connected on the Wifi - operator Mobily KSA

i have almost the same case (using STC). everytime i'm at home i'm using WIFI and my Z10 is working so perfectly and i'm very happy. however i'm encountering my problem once i go out and come to work as i'm not connected w/ my WIFI i also got discommected with BBM, Facebook , etc. even if my phone is showing i have Edge connection. i called STC lots of times to ask why is this happening they are just saying that they dont have problem with thier data service. they might be right a my android phone (STC) can still view Facebook and open the browser. what i noticed is that the "E" and the Blackberry sign is not present beside the signal strenght. what i did is switched of the phone and everything was solved, however i have been doing this for four (4) days now. i got my Z10 last sunday.

now the question is: is there something wrong with my phone?

please need your feedback

Contributor

i have the same case but with STC. however my case my be little different as i just need to reset the phone every time i'm out of wifi coverage to get the "E" and the BB sign and then i'm back online.
however i also think this issue is not from the SIM.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Grameenphone

Re: BBM not working unless connected on the Wifi

BBM won't work on EDGE network, it will only work on a 128k SIM in 3G or 128k sim with wifi
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

• If you can connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot and try to send and receive messages through BBM.
  • If BBM works over WiFi, then issue is a provisioning issue that will need to be resolved by your the network service provider (your carrier). Somehow, your SIM or your data plan on connected to your account is not provisioned correctly.
  • If  you are unable to send BBM messages through Wi-Fi, then you will need to escalate the issue up to BlackBerry technical support through your carrier (ask your issue to be "escalatated to RIM/BlackBerry tech support)  and you should be given an incident number and a phone number.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Jsanders, thanks for the feedback. The issue was with my service provider. I think I mentioned in my reply on another similar topic that my issue W's resolve when I made a formal complaint with service provider. A day after my complaint I did not have any issue and I'm enjoying my Z10 ever since.

As reply to snkpkp, well my phone is still indicating big letter E so I supposed I'm connected via EDGE. But even though I'm on E I can still use bbm, Facebook, the browser and best thing is I can even download apps from blackberry world.
Contributor

Out of topic : how to post photo here so I can prove that I'm connected via EDGE and not by 3G.

Sorry for posting out of the topic.
My Carrier: STC-ZAIN

Hey all,

Well i had the same issue and was only able to get my BBM working over WIFI, the issue was solved by doing the following.

if you switched to Z10 make sure you cancel your BBM/BIS subscription with STC/ZAIN/Mobily if you are in Saudi Arabia.Then verify that you have an Internet/Data plan. once you get the confirmation SMS that you have been activated for Internet/DATA. restart your phone and you should be able to get it to work.

Im not sure if this would work with any carrier out of KSA, but you can try.

hope this helps, 

Thanks to Hisham for this solution

sinner_saintZ10 wrote:
Out of topic : how to post photo here so I can prove that I'm connected via EDGE and not by 3G.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Carrier: Grameenphone

I can use every single service besides BBM on EDGE . And my 3G sim it won't allow me to edit the APN

snkpkp wrote:
I can use every single service besides BBM on EDGE . And my 3G sim it won't allow me to edit the APN

scroll up to Message 14

Answer those questions.

Knowledge Base Updates