Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry q10
My Carrier: Globe
Accepted Solution

BBM not working without wifi.

HI

I just bought my bbq10 and immediately tried it at home with my wifi turned on. The next day, on my way to the office, I realized that my girlfriend which I send BBM constantly does not receive any of my BBMs. She also mentioned that she can't send me BBM.  We tried deleting and adding contacts but the BBM still doesn't work unless there's an active wifi. Can someone help me with my concern?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: BBM not working without wifi.

BBM needs a data connection to work, can you browse the internet when there is no active wifi?

If not is your data plan set up correctly with your provider?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your response.

Before I bought my q10, i'm already registered to unlimited BBM for 1 month. And I juist registered a week ago.

Developer

The latest BB10 phones don't need the BBM plan as the old phones did, and in fact this could be the cause of it not working.
Ask to have it removed.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

wow! Really? **bleep**, I wasn't aware of that.. So, just to make sure, BBM will only work with an active internet connection and not through a BBM plan... ?
Developer

I would put it like this...

BBM will work over any internet (data) connection, having a BBM plan enabled *may* prevent this from working.

Your service provider should have been aware of this when they sold you the phone.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I greatly appreciate the comment.

Thanks,

New Contributor
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: Etisalat

really sir? the Blackberry q10 or blackberry Q5 works the BBM just using wifi? without data plan? please let me know...thanks
Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: life.com.ua

I have the same issue with BBM on my Q10, it simply doesn't work without WiFi. 

I do have general purpose unlimited internet data plan.

I do can browse internet/receive mail/connect via ssh etc.

I do not have "blackberry sign" on right top of the screen when I'm out of the WiFi coverage.

I do not have BBM delivered without WiFi. 

I've called BlackBerry call center 2 times, and 2 times it was different answers, the last one was something like - "you have to subscriber to BIS in order to use BBM" Which is really-really wrong. First one - it's a bug with OS 10.2.x it will be solved soon. I found an update and updated to the newest version I could found: 10.2.1.2228 and again no luck Smiley Sad

My girlfriend does have BBM on her Android device via GPRS, my colleague does have BBM on his Iphone 5 via UMTS and it's working pretty good, and I don't have it using BB device Smiley Sad I've called to my mobile operator and they confirmed that there in no issue with my profile, I do have the open internet connection and they can see me using it pretty frequently. 

The question is how can I solve this issue out? 

Thank you in advance!