Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2
My Carrier: Movistar

BBM poor user experience in Samsung Galaxy S2 and other 800x480 screens

[ Edited ]

I think that nobody posted this because all you own rather new devices. I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 with 4.1.2, which is an awesome phone with lots of years of life remaining, and I think this app has to be redesigned to take advantage of some Android programming techniques, specially the Density Independent Pixels (see: Supporting Multiple Screens | Android Developers)

The issue is that with a "small" screen like 800x480, the app is totally unusable, and I think that this is critical to pursue BBM wide adoption. You just cannot see if somebody is texting / has texted something to you while you are typing, and it comes to be just crazy if you are in a group chat with crackberriers. I think this is a very serious issue if somebody is thinking that BBM may propose itself as a true IM option in an heterogeneous device landscape as Android is. Please just see this snapshot to understand the problem:

Ok, ok, swiftkey has slightly bigger keys, but there's no room left for chat area.

Other workaround could be to hide button bar (pointless while typing) and be able to move the chatroom name to notification area (normally you already know --or shuld know-- whom you are texting to Smiley Very Happy)

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry Passport SIlver Edition (OS10.3.2876)
My Carrier: Movilnet

Re: BBM poor user experience in Samsung Galaxy S2 and other 800x480 screens

Thank you for your contribution Friend Gvisor...

Welcome http://supportforums.blackberry.com

All this will be taken into account by the Blackberry support teams
And other than that soon with new updates improve these drawbacks would be both the team you mention as in other devices.

Regards...

• Response you like me? Want THANK? Click like.jpg
  • If it was the SOLUTION click "Accept as Solution"!
  • #bbm.original.png4LL original.png  #ichooseBlackBerry10 @Gutijose14

BBM Channels  PIN: C0007093A
Do not forget to give LIKE   Like Those people who help you and advise you about your doubts. Accept as Solution
Contributor
My Device: Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Etisalat

I'm using the same device, what I did is, I disabled the Action Bar while keyboard is on, you can do that from the Settings menu, that does help a lot Smiley Happy and I have been enjoying it since Smiley Wink

My Carrier: Movistar

I did also and indeed it helps but, anyway, if you take a look at Google Play screenshots (maybe taken in a Nexus 4), or if you see it in action in a Galaxy Note 2, soon you'll see that the application is much more usable on those phones, and it's a matter of this kind of layout issues and bar, font and icon sizes, stuck in only one screen dpi.

Contributor
My Device: Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Etisalat

Yeah I agree with you, I do hope they do something about this issue Smiley Happy
My Device: samsung s2 and samsung s3
My Carrier: vodacom and mtn

Hi, I am new to this forum and I need some help. I managed to download bbm on my samsung s3, but cannot download bbm on to my wife's samsung s3. it comes up with the error "not in store 4002" or something like that. How do I solve this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

My Device: samsung s2 and samsung s3
My Carrier: vodacom and mtn

Sorry my wife's phone is an samsung s2

My Carrier: Rogers

My wife and I have installed BBM on her iPhone and my Samsung S2. The font size is an issue on both phones.

Despite the claims by some, it does not change with the system settings on the iPhone.

On Android, it does change, but it is still relatively small to other installed apps, so making it the right size for BBM makes it ridiculously large for the rest of the apps.

Makes it a real challenge to use the application, which we otherwise really like.

Re typing screen, I also turned off the action bar, which helps, but there is still wasted black space in the keyboard taking up what equals one or two rows of text in the window.