Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Blackberry Data Plan

I have been a blackberry user for the past 3 years. I have always paid for bbm service by subscribing to a blackberry data plan. Now bbm has been launched for iOS and android and they can use it for free on wifi or with a normal 2g/3g data plan.

I would like to know how I can use bbm on my blackberry 9300 on a normal data plan instead of paying extra money which the iOS and android users don't have to pay. Will bbm ever be free for blackberry users or do I have to change my phone for that?

My Device: Bold 9700, 9790, 9900, Curve 8520, 9360, Blackberry Z10 | iPhone 5S
My Carrier: *

Re: Blackberry Data Plan

BBM for Android and iOS works on a normal DATA plan which only requires an active internet enabled APN to pass through. But a Blackberry device has its own set of service where it requires service books which can only be pushed if there's an active blackberry BIS / BES service (blackberry.net / bb.net or whatever) to comminucated with other blackberry devices. 

This is just the basic to give you an idea on how blackberry works. different service providers provide different DATA plans, but at the backend its the same connectivity between the provider and RIM. :smileyhappy:

VIA | 

Please thank those who help you by clicking the original button.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"
New Contributor

So that means its better to change the phone and use it for free! *sigh*..thank you Smiley Happy

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

lol, BBM is free, always has been and always will be.

All user pay a data plan fee for ALL their data, regardless of BlackBerry or other platform.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

The app is free for all, but other users need to have a normal data plan, which everyone does have nowadays.

Blackberry users need to subscribe to a special bis/bes plan which is too expensive and gives the same services..earlier bbm and push mail were the best benefits of subscribing to such a plan, but now all these services are available on other platforms at much normal rates.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Samird, you are confused, your older blackberry phone requires a bis/bes data plan to function. You're not paying extra just for the BBM app.  If you were to upgrade to a BB10 phone you will not pay extra for the bis/bes plan as the newer OS doesn't require it.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Turkcell

No B1gbleu ,blackberry phones does not require BIS/BES data plan to function. You can use your phone with normal service provider and get benefits from every free app(with normal DATA or WI-FI) but not BBM. -which is quite absurd -
Since BBM published free for IOS / Android users , it is normal to demand equal rights. We want to use BBM as freely as an IOS/Android users.
Super Contributor
My Device: iPhone 5s
My Carrier: Telus

What's absurd is everyone suddenly saying that they should get BlackBerry service for free, now that a (very buggy) BBM version is being given for free to iOS and Android users.

The nature of BlackBerry's business is changing.  Every indication is that they're going to get out of the handset business and eventually become a service organization.  This would ultimately mean the end of a native blackberry service (eventually...they'll certainly never force anyone off of it).  Most plans in NA are the same price for BB vs regular data plans.

There's little point in complaining.  Things are going to change.  Things will be better for some, less so for others as time goes on.   Life is all about change.