Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Receiving Broadcasts from people I deleted.

so I have now got the BBM app for my iphone, as a past user of blackberry I already had my Blackberry ID so I logged in and all of my old contacts reappeared. I deleted the people who i no longer wanted and thought nothing of it until later, I was still getting their broadcasts, the broadcast messagewould pop up on my phones notification centre but when i go to slide the message open and see it, it isn't in my chats and the broadcast would not be in my chats...

Reguards 

Daniel.

Super Contributor
My Device: iPhone 5s
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Receiving Broadcasts from people I deleted.

Definitely a bug.  It's sounding like you weren't deleted from their contact lists (when you delete someone from your contact list, it's supposed to delete you from theirs).  You could try deleting and re-installing the BBM client (see if that doesn't tell the infrastructure to send the "remove" to the other clients.

If you have e-mail addresses for all of the people that you've deleted you could try the uncomfortable action of asking them to remove you from their BBM list. Smiley Happy 

Failing that you may have to actually delete and recreate your BBID - that will delete your contact list altogether (it also blow away any BB AppWorld purchases you've done on your BB).  That will force you to re-add all of these contacts manually.  

Or you can try reporting this to BB on their twitter account - if they open a bug report you could put up with the notifications until they fix it.  (https://twitter.com/blackberryhelp)

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange

Hi

Thanks for the in depth answer, some of the suggestions where very helpful, I have decided that I am going to delete the app and install it again and see if that works, I have also tweeted the blackberryhelp account with the problem in hope of responce. unforntunately I do not have the Email addresses of the contacts so i am left with the annoyance of the constant broadcasts Smiley Sad

I would delete the account and try start again but that would result in me having to take note of all 100 or so contacts pins, is there any way of backing them up and restoring them to a new BB Id?

Thanks 

Daniel

Super Contributor
My Device: iPhone 5s
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Actually, yes, I believe you can (though you're likely going to hit the condition that you'll have to re-add them, as the ID has changed they won't have your new ID on their list).  That's fairly easy, but with over 100 contacts you're not likely to enjoy it.

If you go that route, you would need access to a BlackBerry with an active BlackBerry data plan.

1)  Delete BBM from your iPhone

2) You should have done a security wipe on the BlackBerry, so it's ready for a new BBID.

3)  Sign-in to the BB with your BBID - ideally the BB OS and BBM are the latest versions.

4)  Backup your BBM contacts list to the micro-SD card (could also backup via Desktop Manager  - but definitely do it to the microSD - that's most handy.  Make sure the micro-SD isn't encrypted.

5)  Do a security wipe of the device - do NOT wipe the micro-SD card (or you just lost your BBM backup - the point of this exercise).

6)  Create a new BBID on www.bbid.com or www.blackberry.com/bbid (either url should work)

7)  Sign-in on the BB with the new BBID.

8)  Restore BBM contacts from the microSD

9)  Maybe do a wireless backup in BBM (do they still have that feature) of your contacts

10)  At this point, some are saying you need to wipe the BB to free up that BBID from the blackberry...you can always do that after if your BBM contacts are blank on the iphone after setup.

11)  Setup BBM on the iPhone with your new BBID (again, if the contact list doesn't populate, then go back to the BB and do a security wipe).  You may need to reinstall BBM on the iphone.

One more thing - realized I wasn't clear on the first part.  If you do this, you'll have all of your contacts, but as you message them you may be prompted to re-add them, due to your BBID changing.  It's somewhat painless, but may be required for all of the contacts.  (easier than adding them all manually though).