Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII
My Carrier: Telus

Recover Lost Chat History

I'm using the galaxy s3

I was chatting with one of my contacts when I decided I wanted to have a copy of our chat history. I opened the Settings tab on the right hand side and clicked on "email chat history". After clicking the icon, the application abruptly shut down (crashed?).

When I reopened the bbm app, all of my chat history for each of my contacts had been deleted.

I had the "save chat history" option enabled so is there a way to recover them on them using the s3?

Thanks in advance.
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Recover Lost Chat History

Check your media card or device memory for the file. I don't know offhand where it is saved automatically, but you should find it within a folder. Since I don't use an Android device I am not sure where the location or exact filename will be.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, JSanders.

Hmm... I've literally combed through my phone and, shockingly, cannot find this folder. I took a look at the app info and it *does* show that data is being stored I just can't locate where this data is.

Do you know of anyone who *is* familiar with BBM for Android who can help guide me through this?

Are there certain file names/extentions that I should be on the lookout for?

Once again, thanks in advance.
My Device: Galaxy S4
My Carrier: AT&T

I can't find the BBM folder, either. It must be hidden.

I've also had the same problem with the app crashing when trying to email a large chat history. I select to feature and then *poof* everything is all gone (even other conversations) when you reopen the app. There doesn't seem to be a problem emailing conversations that are relatively short. Maybe your contact still has it and can email you a copy?

I'm running Android 4.3 on a Galaxy S4.
New Contributor

Right after it happened I asked (thinking my problem was an isolated case) but unfortunately, they encountered the same issue as well.

I've asked quite a few other bbm for android users if they could locate this folder/file on their devices and the answer has been a resounding 'no'.

I was unaware that you could successfully email smaller chats. Since this happened I've actually been warning people away from trying it or risk wiping out all of their chat history.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Windermere
My Carrier: Docomo

Exact same thing happened to me. BBM cannot back up large chats. It just hung and every chat disappeared. Cant bbm fine tune this bug and save people like me who like bbm better than other Im's?

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Windermere
My Carrier: Docomo

There is a workaround for this. Before hitting the mail chat history button hit the copy chat.

If the chat in question is large or very large a certain time passes and it is successfully copied to the clipboard. (Make sure you are not recipe being incoming texts during the copy message procedure because it could crash again)

Once it is copied you can then hit the mail chat history button and use your email to back it up.

Alternatively to be on the safer side you could just paste the chat in a note and save the note in a protected folder without having to risk the Bbm app crashing due to any reason.

I still could not find out where archived chats are stored though.