Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM

Contributor
My Device: BBM for Android
My Carrier: O2

Unable to Complete Setup - No Connection Found

So, I've installed the BBM for Android app on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2) and I would like to be able to

enter my e-mail address to get in the queue to actually use BBM, but everytime I start the app, I get an error that says

there is no connection to the wireless network. I would post a screenshot here, but the Insert/edit Image option isn't

working, so here's a URL link to the screenshot instead . . .

http://djgm1974.kitamuracomputers.net/images/BBM-cannot-connect-on-Android.png

As you'll see in the screenshot, the Wi-Fi connection is enabled, so why does BBM refuse to accept that it's on?

Super Contributor
My Device: iPhone 5s
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Unable to Complete Setup - No Connection Found

What about your cellular network?  This is complaining that it can't see your carrier.  You also have to have a cellular data plan for BBM.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, the small print at the bottom of the introductory page says "Data plan or WiFi required". There's no mention that it

specifically requires the use of cellular data. If it did, then BBM for Android would be useless to me. I'm on Pay & Go,

with O2, so it would cost me up to £1 everytime I use BBM if I had to use it via cellular data rather than Wi-Fi.

There is no way I'm using BBM over cellular data. If I cannot use it via Wi-Fi, then it's getting permanently uninstalled!

Super Contributor

On the faq page it states you need a data plan:  http://ca.blackberry.com/support/apps/bbm/faq.html#is-it-free

Do you do pay as you go for both voice and data or just voice?  You could get the setup done, then disable your cellular data (airplane mode) so it's only going over wifi.  It will use your cellular data when it's enabled though.

Contributor

You've misunderstood the FAQ ...

Quote:

BBM requires access to the Internet and contributes toward your wireless

data usage when you're not connected to a Wi-Fi® network.

Unquote.

In other words, the only time it need to use cellular data is when Wi-Fi isn't connected, or otherwise unavailable. It's an

internet app, It requires access to the internet, regardless of whether you're using cellular data or Wi-Fi. I have Wi-Fi

enabled on my phone, so BBM should connect to the internet through that, but it seems to be ignoring my Wi-Fi.

All the internet apps I use on my phone, whether it's a web browser or e-mail utilise my Wi-Fi connection to access

the internet, so there is no reason why BBM should specifically require access via cellular data, especially when

the introductory page says "Data plan or Wi-Fi required" not "Cellular data required".

Essentially, BBM for Android is broken if it cannot connect to the internet on my phone via my Wi-Fi connection.

Super Contributor

Think I've misunderstood?  Turn on your cellular data and finish your setup and see.

Likely you'll be able to run wifi only after that, but pretty sure the intent is that they want to access people over cellular data (keep in mind, the long term goal is for them to generate revenue over "BBM Channels").  I doubt they've considering all of the "pay as you go" ramifications as part of the iOS & Android rollouts.  (there's still lots of bugs to fix and features to enable).

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why should I use my calltime credit just to setup an internet messaging app? I only have £1.03 in PAYG credit left
on my phone, so if I enabled mobile data just to setup BBM, it would cost me upto £1, then I would not be able to

make any phone calls or send any traditional SMS text messages until I top it up the end of this month.

BBM is an internet messaging app, much like the former Windows Live Messenger, except that it's exclusive to
mobile devices. If general usage of BBM can be accessed over the internet via Wi-Fi, then there is absolutely
no reason whatsoever why the setup procedure should specifically require mobile data usage, especially
when there is nothing in the documentation that says setup must be done via mobile data.

Contributor

So, how do I get this app to work over Wi-Fi as it should? Or, should I uninstall it and forget it ever existed?

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

[ Edited ]

DJGM1974 wrote:

So, how do I get this app to work over Wi-Fi as it should? Or, should I uninstall it and forget it ever existed?

You have an error message telling you to connect to the mobile network.   Obviously the setup process needs to see the mobile network, and I expect that is the extent of it, no more data than it takes to look, and the rest will be on wifi.   If you don't accept that then by all means delete the app and forget about it. 

- Ira
Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

fischersd wrote:

Think I've misunderstood?  Turn on your cellular data and finish your setup and see.

Likely you'll be able to run wifi only after that, but pretty sure the intent is that they want to access people over cellular data (keep in mind, the long term goal is for them to generate revenue over "BBM Channels").  I doubt they've considering all of the "pay as you go" ramifications as part of the iOS & Android rollouts.  (there's still lots of bugs to fix and features to enable).

I suspect that for regulatory and maybe licensing reasons they need to see the user's mobile carrier and jurisdictional location.   I doubt very little data will be exchanged over the network provided wifi is on. 

- Ira