Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: o2

BB Link and deleteing or ccing messages

I've come across a couple of problems with (what I think must be) BB Link. The first is that, all of a sudden, if I delete emails on my Z10, they are now deleted from the inbox on my laptop (ie once deleted from my Z10, they are clearly deleted simultaneously from the server before being pushed through to Outlook on my laptop). This didn't happen yesterday but it is happening today. I can't think what settings I might have accidentally altered in the meantime. Previously I was able to check this kind of stuff via  the BB Internet Service but this doesn't seem to be available anymore. The second problem is that with my previous BB, I could set it up so that any email I sent from the BB was automatically cc'd to me so that a copy alway ended up in my Outlook inbox on my laptop. Now I can't do that. In trying to resolve this problem, I have been sent on a merry dance between my carrier (o2) and my ISP and, many hours later, they still haven't a clue how to set up an automatic cc to my Outlook inbox. All I am told is that it "must be possible" to do this via BB Link. Well I can't find out out to do this on BB Link -- a piece of software that is starting to make the gahstly and clunky iTunes look good -- so i'd be really grateful for any help you guys can give me. Thanks, 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Link and deleteing or ccing messages

Hello,

maxfindlay wrote:

I've come across a couple of problems with (what I think must be) BB Link. The first is that, all of a sudden, if I delete emails on my Z10, they are now deleted from the inbox on my laptop (ie once deleted from my Z10, they are clearly deleted simultaneously from the server before being pushed through to Outlook on my laptop). This didn't happen yesterday but it is happening today. I can't think what settings I might have accidentally altered in the meantime. Previously I was able to check this kind of stuff via  the BB Internet Service but this doesn't seem to be available anymore.

This has nothing to do with Link. Previously, BBs used BIS as their OTA intermediary between the device and their email servers. Now, BIS is gone...replaced by on-device ActiveSync. The behavior you describe is WAD...Working As Designed. The on-device interface is intended to now replicate the server, and vice versa. So, delete on one, it deletes from the other. There are no settings to control the behavior.

maxfindlay wrote:

The second problem is that with my previous BB, I could set it up so that any email I sent from the BB was automatically cc'd to me so that a copy alway ended up in my Outlook inbox on my laptop. Now I can't do that.

Correct...also WAD. That was a BIS configuration item...there is no more BIS involved, and there is no setting on the device to auto-BCC (at least not that I've yet found). Rather, it should be able to place items you send from the device into your server-based Sent Items folder (the prior inability to do that was normally why the auto-BCC was used).

maxfindlay wrote:

In trying to resolve this problem, I have been sent on a merry dance between my carrier (o2) and my ISP and, many hours later, they still haven't a clue how to set up an automatic cc to my Outlook inbox. All I am told is that it "must be possible" to do this via BB Link. Well I can't find out out to do this on BB Link -- a piece of software that is starting to make the gahstly and clunky iTunes look good -- so i'd be really grateful for any help you guys can give me. Thanks, 

Link is not relevant to this whatsoever. It is purely the on-device email client and ActiveSync, for which no auto-BCC exists that I've found yet. But, again, since it can place items you send from the device into the server Sent Items folder, this should negate the need for Auto-BCC.

You of course will be left with the problem of synchronization between the server and the Outlook client...that's an entirely different matter, and dependent upon the capabilities of Outlook itself.

BB10 is truly a revolutionary change from before...so it's best to just toss out what you knew from before and figure out how the BB10 works, not attempting to force fit it into what you knew before concerning the BB platform and services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor

Thank you, sdgardne, for that very helpful reply. Certainly it explains a lot. The trouble is that there was nothing either onscreen -- or in any documentation along with the handset or (as far as I could see) any online tutorial -- to tell the user *in advance* about such dual deletion or inability to automatically cc messages. Since previous BB owners were well accustomed to BIS transmission and automatic cc, I think the least BB could have done is to tell us upfront that it had changed things, rather than let us discover this by trial and error and waste a lot of time. I'm not sure, though, quite what you mean by your reference to the "server-based Sent Items folder". Yes, that's where a message sent from BB ends up on my BB. But it doesn't find its way into the Sent folder on my laptop. Moreover, if I delete emails on my laptop, it certainly doesn't appear to delete them on my BB although (now at least) it does seem that if I delete emails on my BB, then they are also deleted on my laptop. In other words, the traffic is all one way. And on a purely academic note, none of this explains why this dual deletion issue surfaced for the first time 10 days after I first starting using the Z10. Figuring out how the new BB10 works may be good advice but it was a tad arrogant (and counterproductive) of BB not to give business users an idea upfront of the changes they ought "to figure out" and provide at least a link to where they could unearth these new treasures.   

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

maxfindlay wrote:

Thank you, sdgardne, for that very helpful reply. Certainly it explains a lot. The trouble is that there was nothing either onscreen -- or in any documentation along with the handset or (as far as I could see) any online tutorial -- to tell the user *in advance* about such dual deletion or inability to automatically cc messages. Since previous BB owners were well accustomed to BIS transmission and automatic cc, I think the least BB could have done is to tell us upfront that it had changed things, rather than let us discover this by trial and error and waste a lot of time.

There are plenty of other threads (dozens...hundreds?) discussing what BlackBerry should and should not have done for the release of BB10.

maxfindlay wrote:

I'm not sure, though, quite what you mean by your reference to the "server-based Sent Items folder". Yes, that's where a message sent from BB ends up on my BB. But it doesn't find its way into the Sent folder on my laptop.    

This actually is one thing that has not changed from the BIS world. If, by your "laptop", you mean a PC-based email app (e.g., Outlook), then keep in mind that there is (and has never been) direct synchronization of any email between the BB and that desktop client. Rather, all synchronization has been (previously via BIS, now direct ActiveSync) between the BB and the email SERVER. What happens between your laptop and the server is dependent on the capabilities of your email app. In many cases, Outlook cannot synchronize Sent Items placed into the SERVER folder back to itself. But that is a limitation of Outlook...not an effect of the capabilities of the BB. So it is your email SERVER folders you need to first validate against...if the Sent Items are there, then you need to figure out how to get those to reflect in Outlook.

maxfindlay wrote:

Moreover, if I delete emails on my laptop, it certainly doesn't appear to delete them on my BB although (now at least) it does seem that if I delete emails on my BB, then they are also deleted on my laptop. In other words, the traffic is all one way.   

This would, given that description, sound like a problem between your laptop email app (e.g., Outlook) and your Server. But, again, to verify, you need to compare against your SERVER folders, not what your laptop email app is showing. If the items remain on the server, then that explains why they don't delete from the BB...the BB is intended to mirror what the SERVER folders contain, not what the laptop has in it's email app.

maxfindlay wrote:

And on a purely academic note, none of this explains why this dual deletion issue surfaced for the first time 10 days after I first starting using the Z10.   

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. It's tough to properly diagnose at an internet distance. My goal is more to provide you with information so that you can perform the diagnostics. Have you yet tried removing and reintegrating the account on your BB?

Note -- if, by your "laptop", you mean some WebMail client rather than a full email client, then my assumptions above may change...typically, WebMail clients have you work directly with the actual email server folders, so there would be no reconciliation between your laptop and the server folders. In which case, something else may be amiss in your situation.

maxfindlay wrote:

Figuring out how the new BB10 works may be good advice but it was a tad arrogant (and counterproductive) of BB not to give business users an idea upfront of the changes they ought "to figure out" and provide at least a link to where they could unearth these new treasures.   

Again, there are plenty of other threads that are discussing what BlackBerry should and should not have done.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor

Thanks again for this. Yes I'm sure there are hundreds of threads discussing what the Z10/BB10 can or cannot do. But no  user should *have to* -- ie have no option but to -- plough through all such material to find out the phone's basic capabilities. This was a very common attitude of tekkies back in the 90s and it's a big part of the reason why Apple has been so successful: it produced stuff that just worked (or at least allegedly worked) right out of the box without having to spend hours finding out basic info on the web. Whatever else this achieved, it changed forever what punters expect from suppliers of electronic and mobile kit. BB should have learnt this lesson ages ago but astonishingly it seems they still haven't, even though the company is in a seriously rocky position right now. I really am not trying to sound aggresive here -- and I apologise if I come across as such -- but it is down to BB to tell us the kinds of things you and I have been discussing here. I don't care whether BB do this on bits of paper, the handset or in an online tutorial. But it is BB's job to tell us, not our job as customers to find it out. It really isn't.        

Hall of Famer III

I will be equally honest with you, OK? I've participated in several of those hundreds of discussions on this (e.g., what they should have done)...and, frankly, I'm done. For me, there is nothing that hashing it all out here can actually accomplish -- it is history now, and cannot be changed.

If it is any consolation, from what I know the feedback has gotten to BlackBerry...now it's up to them to decide what to do with it (though they cannot change history). But, for me, further discussing it is just not something I'm interested in doing.

I'm not saying that you should not vent your own personal frustrations on the topic -- it's just not something, beyond this post, that I'll be willing to discuss. The "how" and "what" concerning things is my focus...no longer the "why", "what should be", nor "should have been". I hope you can accept that as "fair enough".

Cheers!

Regular Contributor

Sure. I'm not remotely interested in having a row about all this. I just want the machine to work in a way that fits in with my work, preferably without having to spend hours of office time finding stuff out. And FWIW I'm genuinely grateful for all the help you've given me.

Hall of Famer III

You are most welcome, and I'm glad to keep providing whatever you need within the boundaries of what I've said. You are of course, free to say more, but I just won't reply to the points that are "out of bounds" for me. Thank you for understanding.

Cheers!

Regular Contributor

Re: BB Link

If I want to uninstall BB Link and then reinstall it, are there any particular problems I should know about before doing that? There are bits of BB Link that don't appear to work (eg the Help screen is blank and I can't seem to change my backup options) and the only thing I can think of doing is to uninstall and then reinstall the program.  

Hall of Famer III

Re: BB Link

I don't know of anything special to be done in that regard. Then again, I removed it entirely from my PC as it was causing conflicts with something else, and there was really nothing that Link provides that, in my circumstances, I needed. So I'd say just uninstall, reboot, re-download a fresh copy, and reinstall...and see if your issues clear up.

Good luck!