Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 'Not So' Smartphone
My Carrier: Orange (UK) now EE
Accepted Solution

Does Blackberry Link cause problems with Outlook 2003?

I have tried to look through the forums to see if theres any other mention of this but can't find anything but it definately seems to be an issue with one of our PC's

My Wife has a Win XP SP3 System and runs Office 2003 and Ourlook 2003 which until the installation of Blackberry Link functioned just fine.  When she installed BB Link and hooked up the BB Z10 there were issues at first with it stating she didn't have Media Player installed... She did... eventually after reinstalling the BB Link a couple of times it seemed to get the message and was able to see Media Player...  all seemed to be going well but I had been puzzled as to why the Link / device saw fit to create a new Network Icon for Blackberry Virtual Private Network?  After using the Link and her Z10 a couple of days ago she then noticed that when she ran outlook 2003 on her system that for some reason she was unable to receive incoming pop3 mail to her two accounts. she got the following error message...

Task 'pop.gmail.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

I messed around with the system for a couple of hours googling the issue and changing settings then changing them back but nothing seemed to change.. then after a restart (with no settings actually changed) it started to work again?  Last evening she again connected up the Z10 and ran Link synced some music to her device and then tried to collect emails via outlook and it started giving out the error again? 

Whilst I am very IT savvy I have only a scant knowledge of comms etc but I think it may be something to do with the use of IPv6, we use Plusnet as an ISP and I believe they mainly operate on IPv4 at present, whilst we have the IPv6 protocols installed a check online states we don't actually use them using IPv4 instead.

I have thus far not been able to sort out the latest problem Outlook still gives the error show above though on checking the account set up it shows that it is set up correctly and still allows her to send mail from outlook and she can still send and receive on her Z10

Any advice on what to try to resolve this situation would be received with thanks..

Evna

Remember the days when the phone was attached to a wire in the house or housed in a red box at the end of the street... and when you were out, you were out and no one knew where you were or when you'd be back... Those days were Bliss!!
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Does Blackberry Link cause problems with Outlook 2003?

Hey Evna,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

This is a very bizarre issue as there is no known issues between Outlook 2003 and BlackBerry Link.  I would suggest disabling the BlackBerry Virtual Private Network and then test the Microsoft Outlook connection.

Also if you connect the BlackBerry Z10 without BlackBerry Link opened, do you see any problems happening in Outlook?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hi again,

Thanks for the response ViciousFerret, I have planned to give this a go the next time she wants to connect the Z10 just to see how it goes...  We got outlook functioning as normal again by about 6pm yesterday after messing about with lots of things and then if there was no change changing things back as before but nothing seemed to be solving it.  Then at around 6pm it came back as normal???  This could of course just as easily be something to do with gmail but finding answers from them just to see if there was maintenance etc is like getting blood from a stone!!

Will report back on findings... Thanks again

Evna

Remember the days when the phone was attached to a wire in the house or housed in a red box at the end of the street... and when you were out, you were out and no one knew where you were or when you'd be back... Those days were Bliss!!
New Contributor

Hi again,

Just some of the results from messing about with the PC again this evening...

Outlook etc all working initially and no problems.

Connected BB Z10 and BB Link starts automatically... backed up device and synced some music over to Z10

Started Outlook 2003 and sure enough... on pressing send and receive , the send was working normally but the incoming mail sweep threw out  the Error message seen above.

Accessed My Network Places and then My Connections and I show normal Local Area Connection (Nvidia Nforce), My Internet Gateway (plusnet) and Local Area Connection 4 (Blackberry Virtual Private Network)

If I click to disable the Blackberry VPN connection and go back to Outlook, it all functions correctly sends and receives?

If I then re enable the Blackberry VPN Outlook continues to run normally until I again reconnect the BB Z10 and BB link is run... then Outlook gives the error for incoming mail again??

However, this is only the case on this one machine which my wife uses.  If I use my own machine as I too have a Z10 and replicate the procedure, it has absolutely no effect on my system  BB Link and Z10 Backup and sync as normal and Outlook still functions fine afterwards.  So, thus far it just seems to be this one machine.

At least now I have found a workaround for the problem thanks in part to a suggestion by VisciousFerret

Anyone any ideas on what may be occurring here, I still favour the IPv6 versus IPv4 scenario  We both have the IPv6 protocol enabled in the networking configs but I believe that plusnet currently still uses IPv4 and I think I read somewhere during my google searches that Gmail may also have a problem with IPv6?

Evna

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey Evna,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm glad to see we have it pinpointed to this one machine, if you're not going to tether the BlackBerry Z10 as a modem then you can keep the BlackBerry VPN disabled.

Other than that it could be anything causing a conflict with the BlackBerry VPN, to be honest I have an application that causes connection issues with the BlackBerry VPN and I have to disable it sometimes.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thanks for that, we have a really decent Broadband connection and wireless setup here at home thus don't thin k we'll need to tether the Z10 so we can happily live with that. Many Thanks