Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Link/Z10 backup taking forever....help

I am running the latest version of Link and trying to back up my Z10.  It is at 52% after 2 hours!  What could be wrong and how do I fix it?  I reset backup only non-enterprise applications, media and settings. 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Link/Z10 backup taking forever....help

What size are the individual backups for the the Settings, Media and App Data?

Have you tried backing up ONLY the Settings first, Media next and then App data last, all separately?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip as I'm frustrated.  Application data is 1.15GB.  Media data is 243.7MB and Settings is 8.7MB.  Any indication of what the issue is based on the file sizes? 

Thanks as I need all the help I can get and am at a loss as to what to do to overcome this. 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Not sure. Sometimes it's corrupted browser bookmarks or a third party apo's data in the app data backup. Just try this backup of each database separately.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Here is my experience using the BlackBerry Link backup for my Z10.

I have encountered backup hanged in the middle of a backup of my Z10. Problem is the USB connection went down in the middle of a backip.

Two things I do to make sure the USB connection is undistrurded.

1) From a freshly rebooted PC, open the BlackBerry Link and do nothing else with the PC, i.e don't open other programs, don't web surfing.

2) Once attached the Z10 with an USB cable. Do nothing on the Z10. Except keep the screen alive by touching the bottom of the screen during a backup. A noticification box reports the progress of the backup. Just touch anywhere outside of the box will keep the screen from going off. (I suspect if the screen goes off for too long, it will put the Z10 into a sleep mode. Hence long backup mostly fail.)

With these two things done, I can back up my Z10 with 550MB in about 5 minutes successfully everytime.

So the key is to keep both PC and Z10 quiet, do nothing else other than backup, and keep the Z10 screen from going off.

Enjoy your Z10 as much as I do with 10.2.0.1371 and about to load the Leaked Unlocked Android Runtime for 10.2 Smiley Happy