Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Major Security Issue with Blackberry Link or Major Bug?

Like a few other postings, which seem to have been ignored either because helpful souls here don't have an answer OR Blackberry are avoiding it like the plague! I have an unknown (to me) computer showing on my BB Link screen on my Z10. The errant computer is Desktop-32FC not a computer on my home network and not a made up name with the last 4 chars in a known mac address from an authorised connection.

Either the Link is picking up something else and adding it (without my consent or interaction) or someone is able to connect to my Z10 without authority.

Absolute silence from a knowlegable person at Blackberry is just not acceptable. Either its a major security isse or a major bug or both!

Deleting the offending computer from the phone side of things just seems to remove it temporarily, because later on its right there again. I cannot interact with this bogus entry but have seen nothing to suggest that it cannot access my phone.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Major Security Issue with Blackberry Link or Major Bug?

fatzDomingo wrote:

The errant computer is Desktop-32FC not a computer on my home network and not a made up name with the last 4 chars in a known mac address from an authorised connection.

Check if those four characters "32FC" are the final four characters of any local to you BlackBerry PIN. The naming convention used in Link is to use the last four characters fo the PIN.

fatzDomingo wrote:

Absolute silence from a knowlegable person at Blackberry is just not acceptable. Either its a major security isse or a major bug or both!

Where/Who has been silent? When?

Why does it have to be a major security issue or a bug, and nothing else?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope.....not the pin! But thanks for the suggestion. And, in any event it shouldn't be adding anything without interaction from me on the phone!

There have been a few similar posts and no-one seems to have been able to offer an answer that, well - kind of makes sense unfortunately. I would suggest that when posters ask for assistance on either identifying an unknown connection, stopping it happening, and getting an answer on whats happening on BB Link on their Z10, that it would get an experts attention or the attention of Blackberry and shouldn't be ignored.

fatzDomingo wrote:

There have been a few similar posts and no-one seems to have been able to offer an answer that, well -

Where? Link?

fatzDomingo wrote:
 I would suggest that when posters ask for assistance on either identifying an unknown connection, stopping it happening, and getting an answer on whats happening on BB Link on their Z10, that it would get an experts attention or the attention of Blackberry and shouldn't be ignored.

As you probably know... This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not BlackBerry employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. BlackBerry personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration. Yada yada yada.

fatzDomingo wrote:

Nope.....not the pin! But thanks for the suggestion. And, in any event it shouldn't be adding anything without interaction from me on the phone!

Are you sure? That IS very definitely the naming convention of the devices in Link. An old BlackBerry lying around, a family member or friend?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Further down this page, a chap called Optimus raises a similar point. Your point on an old BlackBerry is interesting though, my nephew visited and he's got a Bold 9780. I will need to check it out but am surprised as BlackBerry always identify themselves as such and not as a Desktop.

In so far as BlackBerry pretending that there are no problems because no one reports them. A little bit disingenuous of them to make out that they don't read these forums. And if they don't, then they really are insane!

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Classic

Are you on your second install of BlackBerry link?

I'm asking because I can make one of those Desktop-3f5d(example) computers appear myself.

I did a test install on a windows computer, shut the computer off, deleted the computer from my paired computers on the phone. Then I disabled link and re-enabled. Desktop-3f5d paired computer appeared.

So it doesn't really seem to delete properly, it's just now some forms of ID maybe related to the install or the tunnel.

My guess anyways...

Regular Contributor

Indeed it is a re-install on my desktop computer. An install of the server app of Sync my ITunes seemed to kill processes unintentionally on the computer and was a bit of a disaster on the Z10- so it got rolled back and Link ceases to function. Re- installed link. I accept that all things are possible, but was really concerned at an added unknown Desktop computer without any interaction from myself. Also the coded part of the name ( 32FC) does not relate to any identifier (mac address or other) on the desktop.

I have read more than a few posts about problems incorporating reinstalls of Link and none seem to mention this addition of an unknown desktop to the Z10. So I'm left guessing and worrying about what has happened. If its a common occurrence or something not to be concerned about, I would have read it here probably, but no mention........?

I've done a reinstall of Link on my laptop and similarly have the mysterious desktop link. I'm not sure either of the identifier, perhaps a unique hard drive MAC or other identifier. I'm looking.

Either way, it's no concern to me as a security flaw. And neither am I surprised with no comment from BlackBerry, this forum remains a user to user support forum as referenced in ever page of this forum.

If I find additional info I'll post back.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Ok Thanks. I will indicate "accept as solution" I also Twittered @BlackberryHelp and am still waiting for a response.

Taking my security seriously, you may understand my concern on an unknown device claiming to be linked with my phone.

fatzDomingo wrote:
Taking my security seriously, you may understand my concern on an unknown device claiming to be linked with my phone.

Absolutely!

Knowledge Base Updates