Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Nginx alert when opening BlackBerry LInk

When I open BlackBerry Link (1.0.1) on my Mac (OSX 10.7.5) I get an alert asking me to allow or deny nginx to accept incoming network connections.

Is BlackBerry Link using Nginx? Anyone have any idea what its there for?

Contributor
My Device: Priv on AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Nginx alert when opening BlackBerry LInk

I have similar questions.  On Windows 7 today,  there was some problem and I had to reboot.  I got a message that NGINX would not close.  I looked it up. It is an open source web server!!!.  Then I discovered that twoi copies of this run my computer starts.

I suspect this has to do with the Blackberry Link and earlier Desktop software.  Not terribly comfortable with my computer hosting a web server as that allows outsiders to come in.  This must be how Blackberry is implimenting their interface with their smartphones.

In theory, I can synchronize my Z10 wirelessly.  Have not tried and don't know how to make it happen.  But I bet that web server is key.

Why two of them running.  Windows has way too much baggage already, we don't need to double up.

jgrobertson
Priv on AT&T
Formerly, Playbook, Z10 and Passport
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, nginx powers the Link component which allows file access from your 10.0.10 or higher BB10 device back to your PC over the internet. This is done by association with your BlackBerry ID, and as such not just anyone can access data on your computer. In addition, it doesn't actually run twice. nginx has a master and (possibly several - depending on configuration) worker processes. The nginx project page has more info if you want to read into that.

Contributor
My Device: Undisclosed

There should be an option to disable this nonsense, as of now, the process is running regardless of whether this service is being used or not!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BB