Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Sync unsuccessful in BBLink from Q10 to Windows Contacts - invalid data source

fyip:

The solution that you offered me several months ago no longer works.  Please recall that I'm trying to sync a Q10 to Windows Contacts.  The process starts and then fails.  The error message is:  Sync was unsuccessful  - Invalid DataSource.

I'm still running the same Windows Vista 7 Professional PC and the same version of Link 1.2.2.13.  Before each attempt to sync my contacts, I've run Windows Disk Cleanup to delete all temporary files and disabled Norton Internet Security Antivirus and Smart Firewall.  I've also cleared all recent activity in BB Link.  The backup of the device and apps works fine--just not the sync of the contacts and calendar.

I haven't yet upgraded my Q10.  I'm still running v. 10.1.0.2030.  After reading other users' experiences in this forum, I'm afraid to do it.  I certainly wouldn't attempt an OS upgrade without a good backup of my contacts. 

I would be grateful for any additional suggestions.

Thank you,

seebyrdie_ok

New Contributor
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Sync unsuccessful in BBLink from Q10 to Windows Contacts - invalid data source

I tried the various fixes, wiping out my temporary files, clearing my messages etc. but I still get the message and cannot link.  The problem started the last time I upgraded my Blackberry Link.  It was working fine until then.  It was taking 15 or 20 minutes and still not linked and I had to leave with my phone.  I found no way to stop it so I started the windows task Manager and closed Blackberry Link before disconnecting the phone (I tried a couple of other techniques but none were successful and I ran out of time since I had to leave).   Since then I have not been able to convey data from my computer (Outlook 10 Calendar and addresses; possibly addresses are being conveyed but calendar definitely not).   How do I reset things (either Link or my Phone) so I can get things syncing again.    Now it takes about half an hour, most of the time reading my phone and Preparing sync preview, to tell me it has failed.   Would it help to completely reformat my phone or reload the operating system and, if so, how to I do it?

Since I finally came on, I have a couple of other beefs.  I paid a fair amount of money for the Q10 and while it is easier to surf, review documents, and the map feature is good it has some major deficiencies compared with the Curve, notably the big two (other than the above):

1.  Always having to swish before phoning.  My primary purpose of a phone is to phone and the QWERTY keyboard is useless without swishing a few times.  A single additional button going to the keyboard phone would make it as good as old phones instead of trying to be as bad as the iPhone.  I expected better from Blackberry. 

2. Syncing with my Ford Sync is way worse.   When I got my phone, voice commands other than dialing when I know the number did not work.  Then you upgraded and I could use the voice command to dial by name.  Then you upgraded again and it got lost so I am back to having to know the number to dial.  The purpose of Sync was to have hands free driving and your fix of something that worked so it doesn't work is a major safety hazard.     I did not realise before this the importance of backing up and it is too late since, like Apple, you only support the latest and greatest (even if they do not work) and do not support older, better operating systems.  

Unless there is a very good reason to do so, if things eventually start working again, I will never update either BB Link or my phone operating system since your "Upgrades" constantly seem to fix things that work into something that doesn't work.

Regular Contributor

MurryJ:

I finally managed to sync my contacts and calendar, but I had to install BB Link to my notebook to accomplish it.  It also was running Windows 7 Professional.  Just yesterday I replaced both my workstation and notebook with new Windows 8.1 machines.  I installed BB Link v. 1.2.3.56 on the workstation, and fortunately, I was able to back up my Q10 and sync my contacts and calendar. 

That said, I'm still unable to update the OS on my Q10 from 10.1.0.2030 to 10.2.1.3014 using the software update in BB Link.  The download fails at about 20%, and reports that the software update encountered an error.  I don't have problems with my Internet connection when I download anything else.  I tried countless times on both my old and new computers running different versions of BB Link.  It still fails every time.  It's frustrating.

C. W. Byrd

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BB

seebyrdie, I missed your post in May as I was away for a couple of months.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home?

Go to the above link and enter the name of your anti virus, there are many versions and most might not be compatible with your OS 8.1

To check for Win 7, once you find yor version click it and on the next page change the drop down menu.

If your AV version is not compatible you must remove it as disabling it will no do.

If you are using a 3rd party Firewall remove it also.

Forums Veteran I

MurrayJ....If you want to try again try this way:

Uninstall BB Link and use the Search function on your computer to find and delete all......blackberry.......files found except the files in your Documents.

Power Off your computer, not Restart, power On then reinstall the latest BB Link.

As for your Ford sync problems it could be your phone or your Ford. Let us assume it is your phone and if you wish to reinstall the OS follow the below:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB34045&sliceId=2&docType=kc&noCo...

Regular Contributor

fyip:

Thank you for your repy.  I appreciate the link to the Windows 8.1 Compatibility Center.

Since I successfully synced my contacts and calendar using BB Link on my new workstation running Windows 8.1, I hope that you are addressing my inabiity to upgrade the OS on my Q10 from 10.1.0.2030 to 10.2.1.3014.

At this moment, I don't yet have an AV installed on my new workstation.  For my small LAN, I use a WatchGuard hardware firewall.  I cannot connect to the Internet without going through the WatchGuard.  Is it blocking the download of the 10.2.1.3014 OS for the Q10 after the download reaches about 20%?  If so, then perhaps I can email my network engineer and ask him to change a setting in the WatchGaurd to allow the download.

Do I have to perform the upgrade to the Q10 using BB Link?  If not, then next week when I'll be in a large city for a meeting, I could update the Q10 by connecting to their WiFi.

I'm truly grateful for your genuine interest in my efforts to solve my issue.  I've been wanting to upgrade the OS on my Q10 for a long time.

seebyrdie 

Forums Veteran I

Check here for ways to update:  

http://ca.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/blackberry-10-os.html#tab-1

The best way is through Wi-Fi

Regular Contributor

fyip:

Every time that I've tried to upgrade using WiFi either at home or at my office, my Q10 reports that no update is available.  The software release that on it is 10.1.0.2030.

After you furnished me the link, I attempted to upgrade via the web from both my home and my office.  From home, I couldn't get the file to download to my PC.  I clicked on the "Check for Updates" button several times, but nothing happened. 

Afterwards, I went to my office and tried again.  This time, I successfully downloaded the ApploaderWebSL-Upgrade.msi file.  After I plugged in my Q10 and the upgrade started, the download failed when it reached 8%. 

Do you think that my WatchGuard hardware firewall is still the culprit?  The ApploadWebSL-Upgrade.msi file was running from my PC.

Thank you for your time.

seebyrdie

Forums Veteran I

Well I do not know what else is on your PC and I have seen many times where AV or Firewall blocks BB software.

Can you uninstall WatchGuard or is this a work computer. Changing a setting might help also but disabling usually does not help, if WG is the issue it has to be removed.

You also said you do not have any AV yet but you do, Win 8.1 comes with Windows Defender which is a good AV program, check to see it is enabled.

Regular Contributor

fyip:

I remain puzzled as to why my Q10 reports over WiFi that "You have the latest software."  It clearly shows that it's running release 10.1.0.2030.

I apologize, but I forgot about Windows Defender.  I disabled it on my home computer and tried again to update over the web.  Once again, I picked the 10.2.1 Bundle 3014 (Platform 10.2.1.337).  This time, it didn't download the ApploaderWebSL-UPgrade.msi file.  It simply ran it until the download failed after it reached 22%.

Next with Windows Defender still disabled, I tried to upgrade to 10.2.1.3014 with BB Link.  The download failed after it reached 20%.

Finally, I went to the office and tried a third time.  With the AV on my workstation disabled, I ran the ApploaderWebSL-UPgrade.msi file again.  The download failed when it reached 20%.

I can't disconnect the WatchGuard.  My Internet service (both at home and at the office) goes through WatchGuard first before it goes to the switch.  All I can do is ask my network engineer to go into the WatchGuard and open a particular port or allow a particular exception--if I know what to tell him.

My only other alternative is to upgrade using the WiFi at some other location--if my Q10 would only show that an upgrade is available.

Thanks,

seebyrdie