Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: MTN

Re: Using Link to import Calendar & Contacts to Z10

Ok, i need a way around this for my Z10 to manual sync.
I was able to do this with my 9900 and need the functionality.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You were able to do this to the exchange connected Outlook, with your 9900, via the USB cable and manual sync?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Yes, was able to sync calendar and contacts on my 9900 using desktop software.
Had no issue at all.
All i need to do is sync calendar and contacts.

Len, can you please detail what happens when you attempt this?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

When connecting my phone to my pc via usb i am able to perform backups and sync my media with link software.
Only trying to sync contacts and calender the fields are blanked out as per the pic i attached in my 1st post. Does not allow me to configure or sync any contacts or calendar entries.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

After many months of using my Z10 in a broken state, I am pleased to announce that the Mac OSX version of Blackberry Link now also seems to be fixed. I finally have 2-way calendar/contact synchronisation working.

Similar to MPF94025, I ended up having to go through a somewhat involved process to achieve this however - it doesn't 'just happen' with a software upgrade from Blackberry. New customers will of course benefit from this functionality out of the box.

The steps I followed:

1. Uninstalled Blackberry Link and also my old Blackberry Desktop Manager (which I no longer use) from my Mac. The quick way of doing this is to mount the Blackberry Link.dmg install image and run the 'uninstall' app, but I decided to do a thorough manual uninstall - on OSX, similar to Windows, uninstallers often leave behind traces of themselves just in case you install the software again at a later stage:

- Moved Blackberry Link.app (and Blackberry Desktop Manager.app) from the Applications folder to the trash

- removed all Blackberry and com.rim.<anything> subdirectories from <user>/Library/Application Support and <user>/Library/Caches directories

- removed all Blackberry and com.rim.<anything> subdirectories from System/Library/Application Support and System/Library/Caches directories

- removed all com.rim.<anything> subdirectories from System/Library/LaunchAgents and System/Library/LaunchDaemons directories

2. Rebooted the system, which terminates any running 'helper' processes

3a. Make a note of any settings you will need to configure the phone from scratch - eg your Blackberry Id, any WIFI ssid/passkey settings, your email account username and password, details of other accounts such as LinkedIn, etc.

3b. Reset my phone, removing local apps, data, but also critically this removes all 'accounts' you may have previously set up on the phone. There are various ways of doing this, of which MPF94025 recommends one or two. Personally I used the 'Security Wipe' process, which took 15-20 mins and left the phone in its 'out of the box' state (on the current firmware release though).

Note - if using Security Wipe - beware that the knowledgebase article discusses disabling encryption before doing this. http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/security-wipe-blackberry-z10/

Don't worry about your apps getting deleted - Blackberry World will download these again later.

IMPORTANT: If you are using a POP email account, this process will erase any existing emails from your phone. Due to the nature of POP mailboxes, the original email will likely have been erased from the mail server when your phone originally retrieved it, so when you set up your phone again you won't get any previously read emails.

I recommend using IMAP instead if your provider supports this - IMAP keeps the original email on the mail server (for some configurable period), and synchronises copies of these on your mail client (in this case, your phone) complete with the 'read' status. The downside is that this creates a much bigger storage requirement for your ISP, which is why some don't support it. Any 'webmail' based provider such as Gmail and Hotmail will have IMAP by default however, since webmail is just reading copies of your mail on the providers server.

4. Downloaded the latest version of Blackberry Link.

When I checked, I was suprised to find that my installed version had not been the latest release - it seems that the software is not auto updating correctly.

5. Installed Blackberry Link.

After starting the new link app, I was dissapointed to find immediately that there was no sign of additional sync facilities in the user interface. DON'T PANIC. Its there, but doesn't appear until you have a phone with a compatible firmware version connectioned.

- My link version is 1.1.1 (build 33)

- My phone is at software release 10.1.0.4181.

6. Started phone (which shuts down after security wipe)

After its initial boot, the phone takes you through the 'out of the box' setup process. You'll need to tell it whether you're on a contract or pre-pay tarrif - don't worry, it gets the provider account details from your SIM.

The setup process also takes you through setting up WIFI - this is fine, it won't connect back to the computer yet.

7. Confirmed that no accounts are yet set up and checked calendar + contacts. There is now a 'SIM' category in contacts, and I was suprised to find one contact there - I made a note of the details of this and deleted it.

8. Connected the phone by USB to the Mac.

This triggered the setup process on the desktop Blackberry Link app, including 'naming' the phone and setting certain configuration settings, such as the location of the desktop documents and 'remote device' settings. It then performed an intial sync.

9. Configured phone settings in Blackberry Link

Suprise! In the 'Synchronisation' section, there is now a 'Contacts and Calendars' section.

- check [x] Sync content automatically when Blackberry Link starts or when a device is connected.

- click the (Set up Contacts Syncing) button ... this pops up a dialog to set address book synchronisation

> select [x] Sync Address Book Contact(s)

> select either [x] All Contacts, or one or more individual address book groups.

> click (Confirm) if you're happy.

- click the (Set up Calendar Syncing) button ... this pops up a dialog to set iCal synchronisation

> select [x] Sync iCal Calendar(s)

> select either [x] All Calendars, or one or more individual calendars.

> click (Confirm) if you're happy.

- in the left hand panel under (Backup Now) and (Restore Data), there is now a new (Sync Calendars/Contacts) button. Click this, and wait for synchonisation to complete.

10. Check calendar and contacts on the phone.

This is where things get (even more) interesting.

- In the phone "settings" app, check "Accounts". You will now see a new "Blackberry Link" account. There is nothing to configure here, but if you later decide to sync the phone with cloud accounts instead, you would simply delete this account.

- In the phone "contacts" app, drag right to see categories. in addition to the new 'SIM' category, there is now a new category named after my desktop computer. I confirmed that this contains what looks like the contents of my desktop address book.

- In the phone calendar app, drag down from the top of the screen to see settings, and select 'Manage'. Under 'select the calendars you want to see', are now displayed my two 'Work' and 'Home' calendars, suffixed with the name of my desktop computer. There is also a 'Home (Local Calendar)', which I disable since this won't sync back to the computer.

11. Check two-way sync.

On the phone, I deleted a couple of old contacts which I won't need again. After clicking (Sync Calendars/Contacts) in Blackberry Link, I confirmed that these contacts are indeed gone from the desktop Address Book ... Happy days!

12. Complete setup of the phone.

- In Blackberry World, swipe right to see the categories pane, and select "My World".

- Select "My Apps and Games".

- Switch to the "Available" tab at the top of the screen and you will see a list of your already purhased apps.

- Press hold one of the app names, which will reveal the tools pane from the right side of the screen. Select the [x] multiselect option and select all of the apps you want to re-install. Select the (v) download option.

Any selected apps will show in 'active downloads', and will automatically install when download complete. Its worth keeping an eye on these - several of mine failed intially, but just needed requeueing.

- Open apps such as LinkedIn, and configure with your account details recorded previously in step 3a.

- Open the "Settings" app, and select "Accounts". Configure your email account using details recorded in step 3a. The phone will then retrieve any existing email

All Done!

I've only had this set up for one day now, so I may post amendments to this topic if necessary - but looks good so far.

shealey, Thank You!

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: 2013
My Carrier: 2013

I'm a big believer in redundant systems so I also have an iphone 5. It syncs well with Outlook and am using that until BlackBerry Link is fixed. As mentioned I use one way Gmail calendar sync from Outlook to Gmail and after adding Gmail account on z10 the calendar items appear. I only add delete events on outlook but at least I have contacts and calendar on iphone and "Passive" calender on Z10.

If you want a wider forum to raise concerns consider signing up for seekingalpha.com which is free. It is a good forum for tracking bury, BUT the posts are routinely picked up on yahoo finance and other feeds. Your comments will receive a much much wider audience than this support forum can provide.

This info is given to all those who have asked for a wider audience regarding this dismal problem. Go to seekingalpha.com and search bbry to see posts which include discussion of stock as well as strength and flaws of z10.  

Contributor
My Device: Z10

I am having similar problems to Len.  I just joined a new company, and right now they won't support the Z10 for Outlook synching.  I can get around that for now (they are "evaluating" whether or not to work with BB) as far as e-mail is concerned. But all of my contacts and calendar entries from my old employer are on my Z10.  I set up Link to sync calendar and contacts, but it's only working partially.  I am able to copy all of the calendar entries from my computer to my Z10 (basically, all of the new appointments from my new company that we created on Outlook).  But I can't copy the calendar entries from my Z10 to Outlook.  These are mostly personal entries (birthdays, personal meetings, etc.), but I really want my Z10 and Outlook calendars to be in sync.  Is the problem that the older entries on my Z10 were tied to my old Outlook profile (the name of that calendar on my phone says that it is my old company).  Is there a way to copy the calendar entries from one calendar on my Z10 to the other?  That would solve my problem.  Thanks.

tonymarch wrote:

Is the problem that the older entries on my Z10 were tied to my old Outlook profile (the name of that calendar on my phone says that it is my old company).  Is there a way to copy the calendar entries from one calendar on my Z10 to the other?  That would solve my problem.  Thanks.

Yes, that is my assumption as to why this is happening.

If you can export ALL of your calendar entries from the Z10 thought a program such as PIM Backup (in BlackBerry's AppWorld) to a CSV or other database file, you can then import that file to your current Outlook on the PC, and thus do a runaround the problem.

Knowledge Base Updates