Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Will BB10 + BB Link natively sync to Outlook?

Agreed: why pay for the service. My office is switching to 365 anyway, which i know doesnt help those looking for a straight answer for standalone outlook installations. But it will be god to know if it works, and if it works well, as n option which is why ill post back.  

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

You are not hearing us. We understand that there is a wireless web solution but at an extra cost and has our information on remote server. Furthermore, you are suggesting an external fix with a third party and DejaOffice app which is pending approval from BlackBerry App World?????

In order to understand one must first LISTEN. So once again the question is, will Blackberry provide a solution so that BB10 & BBLink to natively sync to Outlook? We have always been able to sync with outlook in the past. Now with the great new OS we can't. Why????

Contributor

[ Edited ]

RETURNING Z10's

Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

[ Edited ]

Guelph_Guy wrote:

You are not hearing us. We understand that there is a wireless web solution but at an extra cost and has our information on remote server. Furthermore, you are suggesting an external fix with a third party and DejaOffice app which is pending approval from BlackBerry App World?????

In order to understand one must first LISTEN. So once again the question is, will Blackberry provide a solution so that BB10 & BBLink to natively sync to Outlook? We have always been able to sync with outlook in the past. Now with the great new OS we can't. Why????

Why would they not be listening to you?  As with everything , it is all about the money.
Why do they want you to start using subsription/web apps (office365)?  Why would they want you to use online storage?  Why do they want you store your contacts and calendars online?
Money.  "They"  - they meaning just about everyone who manufactures phones, writes software for cell phones,  provides you with the the wires and wireless spectrum to transmit your data and those who own big warehouses with servers stuffed into them .....   They want to moneitze your cell phone... they are looking for great new ways of using your phone to leverage more cash out of your pocket...  they want you to get buy subscription software... they want you to pay for storage... they want you increase your use of their wires so you have to pay them more to get and save your data.....  to be thinking this change has anything to so with anything other than your wallet is naive at best..
The simple days of  only being screwed by the cell phone co's are over... 
and to think whining about the change in some thread in the middle of some nowhere forum is going to change anything is nuts....
just say'n
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Guelph_Guy wrote:

Hello Guelph_Guy,

did you read my previous messages? I think that not later than yesterday I already linked to the official message from the Community Manager, here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Announcements/Learn-how-to-sync-your-contacts-calendar-multim...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8830
My Carrier: Sprint

So as I mentioned I'm exploring all options including over here on the dark side (Android), which there are some pretty cool devices (Galaxy Note II is at the top of my list), although Blackberry Hardware has always been really good too.

There are a couple of programs I'm researching called Sync2 and gSyncit that claims to sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar with Gmail. Supposedly these programs convert Outlook Contact Categories to Google Groups so these can be filtered like in Outlook and also accessed in Gmail if Outlook isn't available. The sync happens automatically or at prescribed times either 1-way or 2-way and is accessed on your phone through a Google account.

The Sync2 program also allows you to sync Outlook between different computers or share specified Outlook folders with others also running Sync2. The documentation on the Sync2 website is pretty thorough and so far they've been very responsive answering my questions, but so has gSyncit. I recall someone on this post replied that BB10 no longer supports Contact Categories on the phone which is something I live by so this may be another viable option for whatever device is decided upon.

Sync2 cost is $40 per year including full support and upgrades, then it looks like subsequent licenses are $20 per year. GSyncit is $20 and Notes and Tasks are also synced. Of course this is not going to be a local / USB sync.

I recently inquired about what fields get mapped between Outlook and Google so I'll be curious how that works. For me there is sensitive client information in certain contacts that I may need to move around before trying it.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8830
My Carrier: Sprint

Thank you Xandrex for the link to BB's explanation of what may be included in the future for BB Link.

As it has been suggested in this forum and officially here by BB (http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/02/set-up-outlook-sync-with-blackberry-z10/) it is possible to sync the BB10 to your Outlook account wirelessly so if we accept this in lieu of direct sync (like we have a choice) I understand this should work.

However for those of us who live by Outlook Categories for organizing our contacts even Microsoft has dropped the ball here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/mail-sync/can-i-organise-outlookcom-contacts-by...

Hence the solutions I posted earlier, however on Friday night I found an additional solution and tried it with much success. Focusing on syncing Outlook Contact Categories with Google Contact Groups instead of by phone platform I ran across this App (http://googlesyncmod.sourceforge.net/) which essentially does just that.

So around midnight on Friday after backing up Outlook pst files, deleting all prior contacts in Gmail account to help avoid any duplicates and installing the App, I setup the sync to start. Saturday morning after a few prompts to let the sync finish (You have to give permission to access your Outlook account, intervals up to 10 minutes are allowed. I assume when it tries to go to the next step you need to give permission again.) ALL Outlook Contacts were found in the Gmail Account and 'Grouped' by the Category names setup in Outlook! Whoa, pardon me for saying, but it was F'n cool!

I then tested making a few changes on both sides and re-synced to verify the changes and everything continued to match, with the App sync log showing the contacts I had revised and which side was updated.

One thing to note is that the "User 1, 2, 3 & 4" fields are not used in Gmail Contacts, however the 'Notes' field is so if you have sensitive data there you may feel safer removing it as I did.

So then a few more hours were spend re-installing Mozilla Thunderbird to give the new version a try, then installed the 'Lightning' and 'gContactsync' add-ons (Lightening syncs with Google Calendar and includes a Task widget; gContactsync syncs Google Contacts). After signing into Gmail for everything all newly organized Contacts, Calendar events and e-mails were migrated into Thunderbird including mail folders / subfolders set up in Outlook (These are also visible in Gmail but not as easy to organize there).

So now I'm running Thunderbird as a replacement for Outlook with everything up to date. When Outlook and Thunderbird are opened side-by-side everything matches except Notes and Tasks but if we're going wireless now, there are better options (Evernote & Remember the Milk are a few I'm looking at).

So while this was not what I planned to do, there is the advantage of having Contacts backed up online and available from anywhere. But best of all with this great little App found Friday night, they're organized in a familiar hierarchy which was always my focus.

Of course if you're going to try this do so at your own risk. Backup your Outlook PST files first (I use syncback's free version for this (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/) weekly and save in a SugarSync Folder.) The initial Google sync mod sync takes some time (I have 2,073 Contacts) as it reads each contact from both locations then sync's any differences from the options you've specified (Merge, 2-way, 1-way, etc.). Subsequent syncs are faster. Then if you decide to try Thunderbird the changes made to Contacts sync much faster to Gmail so you won't need to go back to Outlook unless you prefer to. Another plus is not paying monthly fees for this, and if Thunderbird continues to work as well as it is now there's no need to include Outlook in the next Office upgrade.

So good luck everyone, this is probably my last post for at least 2 years. Won't be able to finish the story and tell you if this works to sync organized contacts to a BB 10 but from what I've read it should. Due to the frustration and time spent to solve this and without any BB 10 devices here for a few months and even longer for the Qwerty model to consider, Saturday I ordered a Titanium color Galaxy Note II on AmazonWireless that should arrive this week. The larger screen was the easiest I found to type on for a touch screen after using a physical keyboard for nearly 10 years.

Actually looking forward to upgrading to a new phone from the nearly 5 year old BB then getting on with business without the distraction of wondering what am I going to do to organize my Contacts if this BB dies.

Contributor

here's something posted via web ...

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/02/17/blackberry-10-link-usb-sync-to-outlook-coming-soon-confirmed/

is it too late? for me it is ... lost interest

is it still pie in the sky .. yes

i need now ... not a few weeks!

my 2 BBZ10 gone back to Rogers

New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Great news, as i was getting ready to send back my phones this week.  This is actually one of the most important features of bb.  I am so glad you posted this feature, as my friends and colleagues where becoming very anti bb with the new ``link``.

I think this saved their asses big time!

Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

I also found this confirmed through @CrackBerry,'Outlook contact and calendar information via USB sync coming to BlackBerry Link'. Read the full article at http://crackberry.com/outlook-usb-sync-coming-blackberry-link?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter. 

Now if we can just get them to restore PIN messaging.......