Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Koodo

Windows 8.1 Crashing after BlackBerry Link install failure

I installed Windows 8.1  All went well. 

Went to connect my BB and it asked for Link to be installed.  I obliged and started Link install.

Part way thru the install, Windows 8.1 displayed a new blue screen of death with an Smiley Sad face stating rebut needed and diplayed fatal error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (ndis.sys).

Nothing I do will allow Windows to restart; it gets started and almost immediately desplays the blue death screen with the same message.  I can get into safe mode, but that does not allow me to uninstall Link.

I also run Kaspersky and in one the posts indicates this can interfer as well,  I also tried running windows in the special mode that turns of anti-virus; same problem.

I also unplugged all USB devices except keyboard and mouse.

Anyone got any suggestions.

New Contributor

Re: Windows 8.1 Crashing after BlackBerry Link install failure

[ Edited ]

I PARTLY figured out what was happening...  Windows 8.1 had required updates, which I was unaware of, that had not been installed.  And during BB Link installation Windows crashed, but because the updates had not been completed, Windows was not capable of dealing with the errors on reboot.

I was able to launch in Safe mode, after a number of failed reboots and navigating the menus.

Once in Safe mode, I went into the Device manager and disabled the Blackberry Virtual Personal Network driver under Network Devices. 

After that, Windows rebooted perfectly.  I then shutdown and installed updates.

BTW, Link still crashes Windows on install;...  That's for another day.

New Contributor

If BB is listening, I would still like a solution to why Link is crashing. 

The version is 1.2.0.28.  I re-enabled the BB VPN driver and clicked the program Uninstal/Changes and it resumes the "suspended" installation, but crashes as soon as it gets to "starting services", just like clockwork. 

And I cannot find a way to uninstall that partially installed version; there is no option for this.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I posses Z 10 myself. Thanks for pointing out this error. I am exactly facing this error and even installed the latest Blackberry link. I Even keep on updating Windows 8.1 as when it prompts something hoping that me sending the error report also wakes up Windows team.

All was well till Windows 8.Smiley Happy

But since 8.1, the windows is crashing the way you described the moment the installation of blackberry link is about to complete. Though the link has somehow still started but does not show logo/shortcut on desktop. Can't synchronize at all.

It does not even help for my HTC too. Only Apple with I5 has not faced any problem yet !!!.

Look forward for fast response from BB team. The error somehow has links with regards to the phone driver.