Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: 9930

Re: Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

Many will never be purchased.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9930

I have been a Blackberry loyal since the beginning but their time has run out. I am waiting on three things. The Verizon version of HTC One or HTC M4 or Blackberry to come through. Whoever gets delivers first wins me as a customer.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

I am suffering along with the rest of you on this matter, have voiced most of my thoughts on another thread with similar concerns. I don't think BBRY is going to address this publicly because they a) believe that very few people, as passionate as the group may be, are impacted by this issue b) they don't want to say anything negative that might ward off new purchases. Fortunately, Iv'e got an iPhone 5 which syncs well, but I hate the typing c/w my Z10.

Raising concerns on BB forum threads will only go so far. Drawing a comparison to the debacle Apple faced with dropping Google maps, Apple only addressed the issue when it became a story in the WSJ and other biz publications.

For those who feel ignored, patronized, outcast by BBRY's lack of attention to existing users, and the poor souls who buy their new devices with the expectation of this functionality intact, I think one has to go to similar threads in the biz community, which incidentally, thinks are there only about a dozen people on the planet who have this concern.

The easiest way to get the biz community aware, elevate the visibility of the problem to get a response and a fix, I would suggest a biz  website called seekingalpha.com. It has threads very much like this, routinely has discussion on the technical and biz aspects of BBRY, is free to join/register/comment, and most importantly is connected to RSS feeds from Yahoo Finance, WSJ, Barrons, etc.

Clearly BBRY is choosing not to respond to the threads here. I suspect they will respond if there is enough noise in the biz community.

Otherwise, who knows, maybe there are only a handful of us who are really put out by this issue, and everyone else it seems has gone happily to outlook.com, gmail, yahoo, etc to sync PIM data. And if it is only a small group of us, well, BBRY is not only not going to address this soon, but may push it way down on the list of things that need to be addressed.

I'd prefer some accountability, much like we saw with Apple, where heads rolled because of the Google maps flap.

If you're bothered by this issue, speak up where it matters. (I have not personal/financial relationship with seekingalpha, in case anyone is wondering, other than as a subscriber to it's BBRY threads).

As a technical aside, I have tied BB10 PC Outlook sync, not having much luck. I've only tried 1 way Outlook to Z10 for fear of corrupting Outlook. The process took a long time and I ended up with lots of duplicates, both on the contact and calendar side. Amazingly, I can't find a way, as with prior Desktop Manager to simply delete the contact and/or calendar file to start from scratch. Even worse., when I hand selected 500 contacts to delete on my Z10, it took over 30 minutes. And that was after removing encryption.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30 BES 10
My Carrier: AT&T

I do not believe they are going to push this way down the list of things to be addressed.  I come to that conclusion based on the fact they rushed to deliver 1 way sync (and yes, that was a rush - I have never seen BB deliver any upgrade to the desktop Manager in less than 6 months.) 

Just because they aren't talking doesn't mean they decided, after delivering a one way sync, to drop the two way and walk away.  If there weren't enough of us, or they just didn't care, they would have said nothing at all and not delivered the one way. 

As for getting the word out over your frustration via use of business community - great idea.  As for heads rolling like the map debacle - I don't know, as you said there are a percentage of users bothered by this, but the maps (and antenna gate) problems... the percentage was obviously much greater.  And at this point, after BB has said they will deliver the 2 way I am not sure what there is to write about except the irritation this caused certain users by not having it ready at launch.  Or, the lack of timely and ongoing updates as to exactly "when" and "where" they are in the process of delivering the fix. Unfortunately, from what I have witnessed in tech - they rarely tell the user when and where they are in the process. Why the cloud of secrecy?? I do not know, but it is the norm in tech.  

Remember there is a victory here - there was enough noise made to CHANGE the outcome.  They realized they were wrong and pushed out the one way at record breaking speed with two way to follow.

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

TheSand

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

It has been a frustrating day. After trying a third party app, BB10 PC Outlook Sync, without much luck, I ended up with duplicate calendar and contact entries. Oddly enough, when I tried to delete contacts individually, it took a really long time. Like a half hour to an hour to delete 500 contacts. This has been mentioned maybe earlier in this thread or another thread.

One of the threads here mentioned a third party app for deleting contact/calendar items separately, PIM Backup and Restore, and it took about 5 minutes to delete the remaining 1500 (I've accumulated lots of contacts over the years, many need to be cleaned out, just don't want to take the time). Clearly not as fast as it was deleting files in prior BB7desktop manager, but still better than these excessive periods.

I do hope BBRY gets around to the 2way sync. From what I understand QNX and Outlook desktop don't play nice directly.

It is so sad to hear when loyal BB users get their brand new phones home without any warning of this problem.

In the larger perspective, given that there are about 76 million BB users, even if this impacts 3% of all users, this could potentially lead to a drop in the overall subscriber base. Heins states that 50% of users are coming from other platforms, but we don't have what the total sales are.

The last thing that BBRY needs is a drop in the subscriber base for this reason.

May not see it with next quarter's numbers as many of us got excited about upgrading not knowing this was a problem. If fix not out by end of summer, we could be seeing enough defections to iOS (which handles this just fine) that defections could be surpassing new users.

Of course, maybe I'm just old school, and there just aren't that many of us left who don't want PIM data in the cloud.

Trusted Contributor

Not old school - that is smart. It is very (actually utterly) foolish to stick a lifetime accumulation worth of Outlook content into the cloud.  A wise person knows what can be shared and synced via the cloud and what should not be.  A good device OS and its accompanying software will give us the ability to make that decision for ourselves via "options" not lack thereof. 

Every day that passes puts us closer to the Link Software update... where the stories of one way syncing with unending duplicates will be behind us. Histoy.  And there will be great joy!!

Have a nice weekend!

Contributor
My Carrier: Nashua

I see some people here are thinking what I first thought on encountering this problem; that it is just actually a handful of persons that are disgruntled.

Nobody I have spoken to here where I live (Cape Town SA) used the sync. But in fact they don't use Microsoft Outlook for anything. So it is really a question of how many users are there of Microsoft Outlook that also have a BlackBerry.

Personally I am quite surprised that I do not know of anyone personally who uses Outlook as I cannot imagine life without it.

Are they more advanced than me? I wonder?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No they are not more advanced than you – in reality if they shun Outlook they are probably more disorganized than you – Web based email is better now but nowhere near Outlook quality. 

A lot of the Outlook users could be BES which is what I use.  I need the USB sync to Outlook for SMIME cert sync.  Even using BES I didn’t just randomly upload all of Outlook to the server – just what was necessary for sync. Until I run the server (which is a possibility) my Pst’s hold everything I will never let my Ost see - Hee hee…

Most here are probably small business people who use Outlook but do not want to pay for BES (which cost more than rolling an Exchange account through as EAS.)  Or, they use BES for work and are syncing their personal info onto the Blackberry at home using Outlook at home.

I do not know what the percentage is but it was enough for Blackberry to change their minds and deliver the sync. 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

This post makes me smile.

Smiley Very Happy

2 way sync with Outlook please.

Thank you.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

I have just heard from my former IT that the Q10 will have the new software that will permit the two way wire sync for Outlook.

Hope springeth eternal.

HiCap