Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Z10 Outlook sync [lack thereof]

I would recommend BES10. With the ability to have 2 profiles. 1 completely locked down and 1 completely personal.

Although i can't comment on its success yet as i use activesync with device encryption.

Hope this helps
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30 BES 10
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I agree... the 2 profiles should get rid of that problem. 

My current BB runs BES and I have apps installed that are able to run without access to certain data on the device (of course this limits serverly the number of apps you can run for as soon as you start disallowing them access to data in settings they fail and won't work correctly.)  My Windows Phone 8 runs all the apps I want, but I keep my Exchange account off that device since there are no settings to "disallow" an app access to cretain device content. With Blackberry's new 2 profiles I should be able to have it all - the security I want on the BES side in addition to Apps I like on the "personal" side.  The apps on the personal side should not have access to data on the BES side.  It's a very nice concpet for those that think security is important....

Contributor
My Device: 9930

My wife and I have been a loyal Blackberry user for 10 years. One of the most important features we rely on is the direct synchronization between our Blackberry's and local Outlook data. Managing our data over the internet is not an option. I am highly disappointed in Blackberry (RIM) for not considering the importance and dependency by so many like us. I guess our next best hope will be the upcoming iPhone. I never thought I would have to say that.....

Contributor

I find it funny you say that. Iphone is fully cloud based and does.. how does that solve your issue of not having outlook right now?

Guess your not as loyal as you say since you can't wait for BlackBerry to make it happen
Contributor

I recently purchased a used iPhone 4s to experiment with. You have the option to use the Cloud or sync locally with iTunes. It synchronizes flawlessly through iTunes. 

Contributor

Well then all i can say is whatever works for you. I personally would wait for BlackBerry to release the fix but that is ultimately up to and if you can wait.
Contributor

My hope is that Blackberry will take notice of the out cry for the sync feature and it will surface as a reliable tool, soon! I have not given up yet, but my need to evolve is nearing.

Trusted Contributor

The iPhones ability to sync to Outlook has never been in question.  Whether your personal data, no matter how it got there (via USB or EAS) is as secure on that device is another matter. Who is looking at what and why and can you configure the device to block access to certain content.

You may want to think about what the word "evolve" in regard to security means to you if a USB sync is your concern because the iPhone does not give the user much say in regard to settings.  Android does - but Google is a nightmare in regard to privacy.

Contributor

It is not just security, iPhone is far from perfect and Android might be an additional consideration. But another key reason I made reference to "evolve" is because my business has evolved beyond the capabilites of the Blackberry's access to propietory applications i require. Again, my hope is that Blackberry will expericence significant growth in their application library as well, and sooner than later.

Trusted Contributor

I understand... there is much to consider and really, as I am sure you know - there is something "wrong" with every device on the market right now.  No one gets it all right, there are unaddressed problems in some and flat out glaring oversights in others - every platform has something I wish it did better.  So we all have to "prioritize" and do the best we can and make it happen. 

Good luck with whatever you decide on!Smiley Happy