Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Sun

Re: Z10 What happened to sync for contacts and calendars from Outlook etc

I see limitation on using cloud service.   It doesn't have notes & task.  Data in calendars & contacts are limited.

Direct desktop sync is one feature that keeps me with my BB

Why would I use a Google account to only sync contacts & calendars.  If its just that then its more compatible if you use an Android phone than a Z10 or Q10.

Frankly, I leaning towards now to a Galaxy S4 when it comes out.

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Sun

Mick1959 wrote:

Xandrex wrote:

If the Outlook sync is mandatory for you, this cannot be argued obviously, but be aware of the outstanding limitations of the other brands. Smiley Wink

To me it is madatory, and I am aware of limitation of other brands, but limitations are better than no option!

I really wanted the Z10 to work for me, my 9780 is likely to fail soon, it has been a fantasic mobile office for me.  On a Z10, I can live without synching media via USB, but business wise, I rely on being able to sync with my Outlook via USB.

If I want to sync media,  I can buy a wide range of alternatives and like the Z10  maybe even use workarounds to sync my outlook.

This just gives the compeitors more amunition to get more sales at Blackberry'sexpense - imagine the sales pitch:  "...yes the Z10 fantastic, oh you want to sync to outlook, sorry not via USB.  Oh, you dont have an Exchange server either, well you could pay extra each month for one online with limited storage, or use a workaround with outlook.com.  Oh, none of those are options, well there are alternatives which can do it  .......".

I hope for Blackeberry's sake an announcement is made quickly when an option to sync via USB is available, as all those return by dates are looming, then all the carriers wont be happy at the number of returns they have to deal with.

I strongly agree with you.

Why patronize others and this would someday lead & tempt your beloved BB users to the others camp. 

Hotmail connector --> Windows Phone

Gmail account --> Android phone

I think BB should focus first what they're strength are and keep those loyal BB in their arms than show them with new tricks that other mobile OS are already good at. 

Syncing with Deja calendars, does it show the events alerts in the Hub?  If not, the hub highlight importance is gone.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

As Network Security professional, I concur. Why do I want to put my personal and professional life online to be subject to questionable EULAs and Privacy Policies. I want my information private! The only way I can get this is to use my PC as my sync. The Z10 I just bought will sit in its box until this sync issue is resolved and I told the BB tech I spoke with last night exactly that.

Contributor
My Device: Passport Silver, Z10, Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

you can sync one way via usb cable which is better than nothing while we wait. this is a good thing for contacts and all current appointments in calendar on the computer. of course there is a lot of work to do but I am grateful that they are making partial progress available to users like me that still values privacy.
Contributor
My Device: 9930

I am waiting on a Z10 purchase in hopes that BB will deliver on its promise of USB two-way synchronization solution soon. However, for those of you that have already purchased a Z10 that are looking for a USB solution you may want to consider CompanionLink.

I spoke to them about their product and they said synchronization to Outlook through Google is currently avaialble and you can also sync via USB through DejaOffice. An update in May will make USB sync possible without Google or DejaOffice.

On a side note, CompanionLink will USB sync the Bold and other BB models direct to Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013 which I have read some issues floating around the internet about sync problems with them.

If you have any additional questions CompanionLink has a knowledgeable support department (800-386-1623) and they are straight up on their product capabilities and uses. They also offer free trial versions.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

For those wishing to raise the "noise" level, please feel free to add comments to the following thread in the BB support forum: "Complaints about Link disfunctionality"

I've been very concerned about this issue and had my comments moved out of a "solutions" thread into my very own "complaint" thread.

I hope this is fixed soon and echo the concerns of all those who have written on this thread.

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telus

This is driving my crazy too.  Being able to plug my blackberry in to my dsktop and sync my contacts, calendar and tasks is essential to me.  It never even occurred to me to check to see if this was possible before buying the Z10 since it was such a standard part of every Blackberry.  Never occurred to me that BB would be dumb enough to drop this.  Stupid me for not checking tough.  They have sort of fixed it.  I can now sync one way but contacts and calendar only.  No tasks.  Have put the Z10 aside for the moment and have gone back to my 5 year old trackball as a calendar and contacts tool.  Not the ideal solution.  Please BLACKBERRY FIX THIS SOON or I have just bought the last blackberry I'll ever buy.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: 3

Hi. I normally update my calendar from both my z10 and outlook on my PC. I find it easier to type on the latter but on my old blackberry curve I could be assured that both my phone and PC would be in sync by using blackberry desktop. With my new Z10 I am using blackberry link on my desktop but this only allows a one way sync from Outlook to the device.

Now I can only update appointments on my phone or put appts in outlook manually until Blackberry resolve this issue. I read on blackberry link that 2-way sync was coming 'soon' but I don't know what that means.

I have tried companion link but that only updates the calendar in deja vu- not the blackberry calendar on my phone. They say that they plan to add this in May.

I share my outlook calendar with my family so that we can all see each others diaries- agin this is now not possible because it is not up to date. That said I have started to use a BBM group which allows you to set up a group to share appointments- but again does not sync with outlook.

I really hope this is fixed soon or I shall have to revert to my old device. Any ideas in the interim would be great.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

eabond wrote:

Hi. I normally update my calendar from both my z10 and outlook on my PC. I find it easier to type on the latter but on my old blackberry curve I could be assured that both my phone and PC would be in sync by using blackberry desktop. With my new Z10 I am using blackberry link on my desktop but this only allows a one way sync from Outlook to the device.

Now I can only update appointments on my phone or put appts in outlook manually until Blackberry resolve this issue. I read on blackberry link that 2-way sync was coming 'soon' but I don't know what that means.

I have tried companion link but that only updates the calendar in deja vu- not the blackberry calendar on my phone. They say that they plan to add this in May.

I share my outlook calendar with my family so that we can all see each others diaries- agin this is now not possible because it is not up to date. That said I have started to use a BBM group which allows you to set up a group to share appointments- but again does not sync with outlook.

I really hope this is fixed soon or I shall have to revert to my old device. Any ideas in the interim would be great.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You have not stated that you have any particular aversion to the OTA sync capability that the Z10 does indeed have, and if properly configured using a compatible service, will indeed sync end-to-end and bi-directionally between your desktop Outlook and the Z10 (as well as, btw, other devices...since it's using a server-based host as the intermediary, you can configure multiple other devices, Outlook clients, etc. to sync with it).

So, if you are OK with using a server-based host to provide this functionality for calendar and contacts, then review this:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Z10
My Carrier: EE

There is one workaround that now works if you have your old BB.

Using Desktop software, do a full sync with the old BB.

Then using link, do a device switch which will copy across all data from the old BB to the Z10.

Not ideal but works.