Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 Desktop Software

My Device: non-BlackBerry user
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: can't download blackberry link Error: 1723

I have to say that I had no trouble downloading and installing BlackBerry Link on my Sony Vaio (Windows 7/64). However, I did notice that it found some missing support files - e.g. Visual C++ SP1 and prompted to download them.

A friend of mine with a Dell Laptop (Windows 7/32) at first received an error saying "Installation interrupted" and then after I suggested downloading the Visual C++ runtime, received the error mentioned in this thread.

We uninstalled McAfee and she was able to complete the installation.  My theory being that it was silently preventing the installer from checking for updates.

So, try turning off your virus prevention software.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: FIDO

This 1st solution worked for me:

Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

If this does not help the I would suggest to install the Windows Installer Cleanup utility and run that to remove the leftover Java installer files that may be causing issues with your current installation.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After it is removed, restart your computer and then try to install the latest version Java and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this information helped!

My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank to Jim for the tip. Finally something that worked!! 

The unregistering/registering the Windows Installer did not work for me. However using the second tip from the link to the Microsoft support web site did. 

The good news is that by running the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" from the Microsoft support page did fix the Error 1723 problem and the Blackberry application update was succesful. 

Interestingly this cleanup program help resolve a problem with another application I was having difficulty with.  

If anyone is getting this same error code (including other non-blackberry applications), try this Microsoft utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Just a quick question to any developer folk. I perceive this is actually a "Java" problem, not BB application problem. Is this correct?
Contributor

Don't know, sorry. 

The other applications with update problems have the common denominator of being Java based

In the past, with update problems with real-time phone technical phone support, they have stepped me through the removal of Java (right down to first run the Java uninstall and then manually deleting folders and files) and then re-installing Java afresh.

My perception is that the Java updates are unreliable.

Thanks again Jim for the great tip.

Contributor

I think the original fix I posted was cut and pasted from lots of on-line searching on my part, to fix the issue, and I simply posted what worked for me. I'm no fix-genius, just a good researcher I guess. 

I have had multiple issues with Java, and lots of uninstall/reinstall done, as I'm sure many have. I would agree the Java updates seem to upset the apple cart often. As recently as yesterday I had to update and install my video drivers (again) to stop screen freezing issues, but I think that Flash issue was Microsoft issue and not Java. Who knows..It's a minefield out here.