Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: q10
My Carrier: T-mobile

AOL imap error

Several times throughout the day I am getting an imap error related to my aol account. I have to go to my email settings and verify the password each and everytime. This is happening about 5-6 times a day. Please help. Thank you.

PS. this just recently started about a three days ago. The last app I downloaded was the Angry Birds game BB was giving away for free.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: AOL imap error

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are a number of different KBs that might apply, but I'm not sure which one to refer you to...rather, please go here and search based on your issues:

See if any KBs match your issues.

Otherwise, with a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (step 1 should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive

2) Reboot

• Pre-BB10 Devices ONLY. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • BB10 Devices. Hold the top button down until the counter reaches zero. Wait for the device to be fully shut down (e.g., nothing at all displayed on the screen, no LED lights, etc.). Hold the top button until the red LED is lit. Wait through the full boot-up process. IF this fails, you can attempt the battery-pull method above, but it is normally NOT recommended unless nothing else works.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Super Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Sprint

Usually the only time that you will be asked to verify your password is if you made changes on your AOL account on a computer or AOL itself is having some issue with their server. Same issue happend to me with my yahoo account, then i found out on CNN that they are having some issue with their server.

Let me know if this help.
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

I have a Blackberry Q10. Many people with the new BB10 phones are having this problem with AOL and Gmail email accounts.  I have spent days and days researching online, and I think I have finally found part of the problem.  And it has nothing to do with your "changing" a password on your account, nor is it the Server Address like some might try to tell you.  Many people are just "guessing" when they give you that answer.  Heck it's not like we just all of the sudden changed something.  This stuff just started happening all by itself. We did nothing to make it start happening.

Here is what I think the REAL problem is. And it can be fixed - or at least made much easier to deal with on your BB10 phone.

When we are logged into AOL on many different devices all at the same time: Blackberry, PC, Laptop, Work Computer, Home Computer, iPod, iPad, etc etc (often all at the same time), it seems to me that the AOL IMAP server gets "confused"?  And cannot sync your email and leave you logged on to all of those devices all at the same time over and over.  Syncing every 5 minutes, and being logged in to AOL on numerous devices all day long seems to cause a problem within the AOL IMAP system.

I have been experimenting with many things regarding all of this for the past two days.  Here are some changes I made to both the Blackberry AOL settings as well as AOL's mail settings on the computer itself.

FIRST, when you are on your computer and logged in to your AOL Mail. Go to the upper right hand corner of the main AOL email screen and hit OPTIONS, MAIL SETTINGS, AUTO SIGN OFF - and change that to a much lower setting than 2 WEEKS.  I put mine at 30 minutes, but it keeps defaulting to 24 hours.  Whatever.  Just change it from 2 WEEKS to 24 hours or less.

When this is set to 2 Weeks, it basically keeps you logged on to the mail system non-stop all day and night. NOT GOOD for this Blackberry IMAP problem.  SAVE these changes by hitting the SAVE SETTINGS button at the bottom.

ALSO, backing up here - when you sign in to AOL, DO NOT CHECK "REMEMBER ME" under your AOL Password.  This also keeps you logged in for too long when you are also using other devices to check your email.

NOW while you are in that screen, you might want to doublecheck the IMAP / POP setting suggestions located on the left side of that screen.  Honestly though, my default settings in my AOL Account Server Settings on my Blackberry Q10 seemed to work fine.

There is also a SYNC section on the left side of that screen.  I did not bother with any of that because Blackberry is not even listed as a device LOL.

NOW, over to your BB10 phone's email settings: on your phone's home screen, go to SETUP, ACCOUNTS, then select the email address you are having trouble with. I turned OFF "USE PUSH IF SUPPORTED". 

I also experimented changing the Sync Interval time. I have kept mine at 15 Minutes with no problems.  I believe that putting the Sync at 5 minutes also causes problems.  If you want an incoming email to show up on your BB, while you are in the HUB, just hit the REFRESH command found on the lower right (3 little dots menu), and new email will pop up manually.

With that said, if you have been fiddling with the IMAP and SMTP settings (because you were so frustrated you would try anything), you might want to just delete the email account from your phone and add it again from scratch.  I did this and the only settings I changed were the PUSH setting. And the Sync setting.  I left all other IMAP and SMTP settings at default when I added the email to the phone.

NOW, with all of this said, you might want to go to each and every device you use AOL Mail on and sign out of AOL on every device you use this email on.  And in the future when you do log in to AOL Mail, make sure you DO NOT CHECK "REMEMBER ME" found underneath your password.

After having the exact same problem you are reporting, these changes have basically eliminated the problem from my Blackberry Q10.

So, in a nutshell, you might want to make sure when you are not using AOL on your home computer, work computer, iPad, or Laptop, (non-Blackberry device) when you are finished reading your mail on those devices, just SIGN OFF from that device. Instead of staying logged in for hours, days, weeks.  Same goes for if you actually use your Blackberry Browser to read your AOL mail.  You should be signed out from AOL on that APP as well.

I receive a TON of email all day and night on various AOL accounts.  So this problem was really irritating me.  So I researched literally for days and days online.  And I read  that a guy who uses GMail also reported the same problem.  So it was his basic idea about what the real problem is.  I ran with it, found the settings on AOL and on the BB10, problem SEEMS to be solved.  SEEMS TO BE... lolol  I have only been testing these changes for 24 hours and all seems to be well.  "Your mileage may vary".

Try these changes, repost on here what you find out.  We could be onto something as far as resolving this serious issue.  It is a REAL problem that SO many BB10 users are having with AOL and Gmail.  So, maybe this will give BB some ideas on how to resolve it permanently?

GOOD LUCK.

Dave Harris
Marietta GA

PS: I am not a computer programmer. I just know enough to be dangerous...  LMAO

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

HI and Welcome to the Community!

Indeed there are many "guesses" as to what the true root cause may be. I know that one interpretation of the symptoms has to do with the actual BB10 OS level...with some OS versions, they appeared to be dropping their authentication to the GMail servers and requiring re-validation on a very frequent basis. But that cleared up with subsequent BB10 OS levels. However, it is of course impossible to know anything 100%...it is entirely possible that the timing could have been that Google was having a problem, and they cleared it up at exactly the same time as folks updated their BB10 OS. So knowing 100% which was the cause/solution is always difficult for end users (which is what everyone here is).

But...

rdavidharris wrote:
So, maybe this will give BB some ideas on how to resolve it permanently?

Given the charter of this forum, posting here is not the proper and formal method to achieve that. Rather, the escalation process noted above is the sole formal method to gain formal attention from BlackBerry for issues. Refer:

Cheers, and Good Luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

I have a Q10 and am experiencing the same problem....multiple times per day my blackberry fails to connect to AOL server, I have to reinput my password and it works again for a short while until the error repeats again.  Was never a problem with my BB Bold.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

orbrewking wrote:

I have a Q10 and am experiencing the same problem....multiple times per day my blackberry fails to connect to AOL server, I have to reinput my password and it works again for a short while until the error repeats again.  Was never a problem with my BB Bold.

Hello,

There is much advice already provided above in this thread...I'd therefore suggest you read and try the various things provided, and report back with your specific results.

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor

Yes please read the entire thread. (I spent quite some time typing it up for all of our benefit)

New Contributor

And just to report in. I set those changes about 24 hours ago, I have not received a single IMAP error since.

New Contributor

Only one AOL IMAP error on my Blackberry Q10 in 48 hours. I'll take that vs every 48 minutes like it was before. Try the above mentioned fixes. Seems to work.