Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: H2O Wireless

BB Z 10 No data on H2O wireless

Hi,

I recently purchased an unlocked BBZ10 and honestly speaking the phone is mind-blowing.

However I recently transfered to a new carrier - H2O Wireless which is a ATT MVNO.

Ever since then the phone has Voice service only, there is no data service.

I checked the APN settings and th value there was "Phone" instease the actual APN values.

At first I thought for some reason the new APN settings didn't update automatically with the change of SIM but hard luck there as well. The field is grayed out!

has anyone encountered a similar issue and found a solution?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BB Z 10 No data on H2O wireless

What is the OS version on the phone? Look in Options >About

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

BB Z10 (Release 10.2.1.2156)

I think its the latest one.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

If the APN setting is greyed out you can't do anything with it.  Many carriers have asked BB to disable manual editing of APN on their networks. 

The only other possible solution is to do a security wipe on the device:

To perform a Security Wipe please follow the instructions below. Be sure and use BB Link to make a full backup before proceeding with the wipe:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33591

Once the wipe is complete you can restore your backup. Keep in mind that data in the backup may be the source of the original problem and restoring it may restore the problem, as well. To alleviate this I recommend not restoring the Settings portion of the backup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks!

I don't mind the grayed out bit as much as I do the data connectivity not working bit.

Had the APN settings been correct and all smart phone apps working perfectly fine I can live with not being able to edit the settings.

It seems to me as if the phone doesn't recgonize the data capabilities of the SIM which is perhaps a specific issue with H2O Wireless or all MVNOs. But I am not sure.

Do you know if this is a known issue?

I found different answers on the Internet. Some say it can be fixed with a firmware update. Some suggested it might be a carrier incompatbility issue.

Guru II

You have the latest software. You might try this. Remove the sim card and then boot the device up again. Once it's booted up, pull the battery again and reinsert the sim card and let it boot up again. Is the APN setting still the same?

New Contributor

I came very close to editing the APN following the process you gave but wasnt successful.

Before I could type in att.mvno (APN value provided by H2O wireless) deleting the default value "phone" it started a validation of the APN which obviously didn't pass. I wanted to try again  but the field turned back to gray so there was no point.

In the mean while, I received some instuctions from H2O tech support, not sure if there is any risk of messing up the phone if I follow them. I don't want to try a workaround which will void the warranty of this unlocked phone purchased directly off BB store. Do  you think this is a legit way of doing it?

Here are the details on how to configure your phone using the settings specified below (Note: Requires an unlocked, AT&T compatible GSM handset):

Phone Settings
DescriptionValue
Proxy Gateway IP Addressproxy.mvno.H2OMobileweb.com66.209.11.33
Proxy Gateway Port80
WAP APNatt.mvno
WAP Homepage URLhttp://www.H2OMWeb.com
MMS APNatt.mvno
MMS URLhttp://mmsc.cingular.com

For your any assistance with setting up the above configurations on your device, we recommend you contact your particular devices manufacturer.

If a customer has a BlackBerry and needs to download the Browser:

What you need:

* Blackberry Desktop manager 
( can be downloaded from www.blackberry.com )
* Usb Cable for the phone
* Service Book file provided as attachment
 ( place in Documents\BlackBerry\Backup folder  if using 5.0 Desktop Manager )

1) Connect phone to PC via USB Cable
( wait for BB Desktop manager to detect and connect to phone )

2) a ( If using 5.0 Desktop manager ) , Click on Device and select restore

* Click on the file to highlight it. Go to the next window and
  click on select data to restore and then click restore.
* Before clicking OK on the pop up window asking to replace files , 
  go to option > advanced options >service books.
  On your keypad , type alt ES button , alt ES button , alt BN button , 
  alt ER button , alt BN button and you will see a pop up saying LEGACY

RESTORE MODE ENABLED.
* Now , click OK to replace existing data.

3) a ( If using 4.x Desktop manager ) ,
* Click on Back up and Restore and Select Advanced Restore
* Click on the file and browse to the folder you placed the file in and select file.
* Highlight it and click on the arrow pointing to the right to transfer file to phone.
  On your keypad , type alt ES button , alt ES button , alt BN button , alt ER button , 
  alt BN button and you will see a pop up saying LEGACY RESTORE MODE ENABLED.
 * Click on OK when the dialog box pops up asking if you want to replace.

4) On the phone, go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP
 * Type in " att.mvno " in the APN field without quatation marks .
*  Leave Username and Password Blank.

New Contributor

For some reason my earlier didnt get posted.

I tried the steps you suggested and got very close to editing it the APN file but as soon as I was halfway done with typing att.mvno it started validating it and failed the validation for obvious reasons.

In the mean time I received some instructions from H2O wireless tech support. Do you think this is a legit way of doing it? Or is this a workaround and can mess up the phone?

Here are the details on how to configure your phone using the settings specified below (Note: Requires an unlocked, AT&T compatible GSM handset):

Phone Settings
DescriptionValue
Proxy Gateway Port80
WAP APNatt.mvno
MMS APNatt.mvno

For your any assistance with setting up the above configurations on your device, we recommend you contact your particular devices manufacturer.

What you need:

RESTORE MODE ENABLED.

* Click on the file and browse to the folder you placed the file in and select file.
* Highlight it and click on the arrow pointing to the right to transfer file to phone.
  On your keypad , type alt ES button , alt ES button , alt BN button , alt ER button , 

Guru II

[ Edited ]

Hi John_Clark,

ranibane0309 (New Contributor) posted a new Reply in BlackBerry® 10 Smartphone Functions and Features on 04-02-2014 11:25 AM:

For some reason my earlier didnt get posted.

I tried the steps you suggested and got very close to editing it the APN file but as soon as I was halfway done with typing att.mvno it started validating it and failed the validation for obvious reasons.

In the mean time I received some instructions from H2O wireless tech support. Do you think this is a legit way of doing it? Or is this a workaround and can mess up the phone?

Phone Settings
DescriptionValue
Proxy Gateway Port80
WAP APNatt.mvno
MMS APNatt.mvno

What you need:

RESTORE MODE ENABLED.

Hey @ranibane0309 

For some reason your post is being deleted.  I get it via my subscription emails but the post is gone when come to the thread.  I've notified the moderators about it and hopefully they can figure out what the problem is.

As per the BlackBerry instructions those are for the legacy devices, not BB10.  The table of settings should be useful if you can enter those into the SMS/MMS settings for the device.  I honestly don't know why you can't edit the apn with the version of the OS that you have. 

Guru II

Looks like the mods found it.

As per the BlackBerry instructions those are for the legacy devices, not BB10. The table of settings should be useful if you can enter those into the SMS/MMS settings for the device. I honestly don't know why you can't edit the apn with the version of the OS that you have.