Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: CellC (RSA)

BB social feed/news apps on bb10

Please bring back BB social feed as well as BlackBerry news.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Passport, Classic, Z10, Playbook and Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB social feed/news apps on bb10

I agree. Both great features
My Device: blackberry 10
My Carrier: Telus

amd ubersocial

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold™ 9900
My Carrier: O2 Germany

That's right, it's a shame that BlackBerry 10 have no integrated news app... what is with hyper connected?!
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

here is my understanding :

1) BlackBerry wants to deliver an "always connected" experience for the greatest social tools (Facebook, Twitter, GTalk, LinkedIN), as well as special partnerships (BOX, Dropbox, WhatsApp). Third party apps will also be allowed (like blaq), but will be less integrated.

2) for the other stuff, including RSS, BlackBerry will let third party developers provide apps. This is choice and it's good, but we have to wait for a great developer to deliver this to us.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

Thanks Xandrex, I totally understand but it's really a time consuming to have copy nd paste each status update. Whereas on BB OS all I did was open the social feed app and updated my BBM, Facebook, Twitter statuses with one go. Now it would be nice if other 3rd party apps such as LinkedIn, Blaq and whatsapp could be included included in the BlackBerry 10 version.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold™ 9900
My Carrier: O2 Germany

The problem is, that now isnt the possibility for good integrated 3rd party apps. And I think and rss reader for news, is a basic for getting information. Okay there is one good Google news reader app in BlackBerry World, but it can't be that everyone l, that want to use rss, have to be a Google user, or a user of other news feed applications.
I had liked BlackBerry all the time because all the basics was integrated directly by BlackBerry in the OS. Okay now the Facebook and Twitter is good integrated, but it was great on bbos too.
And there are only two ways I think.
1: that ne the news app will come from BlackBerry directly, BlackBerry news would be enough, like on the PlayBook
Or

2: the developers need all important APIs for creating good integrated apps.

Okay im not really good about all the things with app development, but I think one of the problem is, the missing working headless apps for native apps... why android apps can run headless, but native not?!

Okay back to topic.

I hope there will someday a good newsapp with filtering options like social feeds before

Greetings

Sada
Guru I

for power users that had an OS5/OS6/OS7 device, the Z10 still lacks some gorgeous features (either from the OS or from third party apps). I hope the gap is filled fast.

That being said, regarding LinkedIN, they did release at least 3 app upgrades in the past two weeks. The messaging system is still not top notch, but I can't blame them for not doing anything.

and I recently also got an upgrade for WhatsApp.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

I am embarrassed to say that I side loaded Instagram, and although I still think it's overrated as a social app, that fact that I can choose other apps to update from the app makes me like it for that reason only. Nothing more. I think BBM channels once live and mainstream will make Instagram, Flickr and to an extent twitter and Facebook redundant.
Guru I

sasakisadako wrote:
The problem is, that now isnt the possibility for good integrated 3rd party apps.

hello sada,

I am not sure I understand what you mean. There is the possibility for good integrated third party apps, for example WhatsApp.

sasakisadako wrote:
And I think and rss reader for news, is a basic for getting information.

I use RSS feeds everyday, but I don't think this is a basic need. Proof?

There is no official RSS reader on Windows 7, Windows 8, MacOSX, or even Android or Windows Phone.

So yes, this is important, but I can understand that it is not a BlackBerry priority. Let's face it: your neighbour knows about Facebook and twitter, but certainly does not know what RSS stands for (or may even never have heard of it or think it is a deadly disease).

In the meantime, you can bookmark your RSS feeds in the browser. Not the best by any means, but it works.

sasakisadako wrote:
1: that ne the news app will come from BlackBerry directly, BlackBerry news would be enough, like on the PlayBook

the app exists on the Z10/Q10, it is called BlackBerry Newsstand.

sasakisadako wrote:
2: the developers need all important APIs for creating good integrated apps.

Okay im not really good about all the things with app development, but I think one of the problem is, the missing working headless apps for native apps... why android apps can run headless, but native not?!

I agree, headless apps are good but this has nothing to do with the subject of this discussion Smiley Happy The most brilliant apps are not headless. Headless apps are mainly for geek persons, who want more customization or more control on their device. We are talking 2% of all BlackBerry users, maybe less.

As far as I know, the BlackBerry 10 platform is the platform that gives the most APIs to developers. More than on iOS / Android / Windows Phone. And in an easy way too (5 lines of code to add a camera feature in an app).

Just look at WindowsPhone users. 40k apps available, compared to the 100k for BlackBerry 10 since January 30th (that is just 4 months).