Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Bell

BBM Voice/Video Chat will not connect.

Hi there!

I'm relatively new to the forums and not too sure if this is the correct forum to be asking this question but I figured I'd give it a try.

I've got an unlocked Blackberry Z10 running OS 10.1 that I purchased from Bell in Canada. I'm over in Ireland for a 5 month work contract at the moment. Before leaving on my trip, I bought my mum a Blackberry Q10 on contract with Bell to allow her to keep in touch with me through BBM voice and video chat. Before leaving, we tried out the voice and video chat features of BBM and it worked great... even without Wi-Fi over the LTE network. Since arriving in Ireland, I have switched my phone over to Tesco Mobile. They do not support Blackberry services so I'm unable to make use of BBM while on the cell network, however when connected to Wi-Fi, I am able to send BBM messages without any issue. The problem comes when trying to make voice/video calls on BBM. Any time either myself or my mum attempt to make a call, the other person's phone rings with the incoming call but when answered simply says "Connecting" for a few seconds and then drops the call. We have not been able to have a single successful video or voice call since I arrived in Ireland and switched my sim card. The thing that I've found really confusing though is that sometimes my mum's BBM status shows unavailable for Voice/Video calls even though the Q10 should always have that function available so perhaps it's some problem on her end and has absolutely nothing to do with my Z10 or switching sim cards? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any thoughts or ideas as to what may be the problem? Right now we have just switched to using the Skype Apps on our phones however the Skype app has its own issues and I've found the BBM video chat works much better... at least when I could actually get the call to connect! I'm not too sure on how successful BBM will be cross-platform if some of its features won't even work between two Blackberrys! Fingers crossed the blackberry support community can help me resolve this issue!

Cheers!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BBM Voice/Video Chat will not connect.

the best is to use BBM Voice/Video through WiFi.
did something change on your mom's side?
the router?

can she try by going to a WiFi hotspot?

same question applies for you. Are you the admin of the WiFi network? Some WiFi networks enforce firewall settings that prevent you to use BBM Voice/Video.
There is a KB article if need me, but I cannot find it right now (need sleep Smiley Happy ).

apart from BBM, there is Skype of course, and you can also try FaceFlow which was one of the first apps to be available for the Z10.

Basically it is a Skype competitor : does text, voice & video, and is cross platform (even works on Windows).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: