Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860, Curve 8900, Torch 9810, PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Base

BlackBerry Data plan

Today, I found out that (according my carrier), the Z10, doesn't need a BlackBerry data plan.

You just need a normal data plan (mega bites).

I found it out this weekend when I subscribed to my BIS plan and received a (text) warning that I used a number of download data (which I had to pay).

When I contacted my carrier, they told me.

Just something you might be aware of.

(they informed me that they will reimburse me because both data plans are the same price)...

Erik

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Data plan

Hello,

Yes, that is the case. It's actually more complicated, as well as evolving.

BB10 indeed will not require BIS. On some carriers, it is reported that even having a BIS plan enabled will block some functions. Other reports are that the carriers are making changes to their networks so as to accommodate both legacy and BB10 devices, and that during that change, a BIS plan must be in place but can be removed after the changes are done. Still others report that their services (both legacy as well as BB10) are suddenly stopping, starting, stopping again, and then starting again...my suspicion is that this has to do with the network changes their carrier is making.

In any event, once it all settles down, BB10 devices indeed will not need a BIS plan. But, in the meantime, I recommend each user contact their carrier if they have any issues at all and ensure that things are correct for their specific situation...and change to something correct if indeed they require that interim BIS plan.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................