Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Blackberry Maps & Blackberry ID

I was wondering if someone can help me understand a bit more about these two applications.

For the maps, how do you stop the constant popup that asks you if you want to turn on location services. I would rather not use location services and don't want my phone's position gratuitously broadcasted out from the device. I have the location option turned off right now but every two clicks I make in the maps application I'm asked if I want to turn on location services now or later. Please pardon the cynicism but later is not in two more clicks.

For the Blackberry ID portion, if we setup Blackberry IDs on our work phones will Blackberry upload our contacts in an effort to connect us to other Blackberry ID users? Some of the functionality listed such as screen sharing are very exciting features. However, we do not want to overly expose ourselves to other corporations.

Thank you for any insight you can give. As I'm sure you can tell, we are altogether opposed to the liberal information grab that seems to be permeating today's device manufacturers. Any tips on keeping our footprint as small as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Maps & Blackberry ID

Hello,

paleshire wrote:

For the maps, how do you stop the constant popup that asks you if you want to turn on location services. I would rather not use location services and don't want my phone's position gratuitously broadcasted out from the device. I have the location option turned off right now but every two clicks I make in the maps application I'm asked if I want to turn on location services now or later. Please pardon the cynicism but later is not in two more clicks.

Well, for maps to function, especially for directions, it would require location services to be active so that it can know where it is and thereby provide driving directions. Even without driving directions, it logically needs to know where it is at least as a starting point. The app does not store map data but rather obtains it from the network as needed...and that need is determined by the devices location as per it's GPS.

Now, if perhaps you are doing some other function with maps, that might explain the behavior...but I agree with your cynicism (though no one here in a user-to-user community can do anything about it).

paleshire wrote:

For the Blackberry ID portion, if we setup Blackberry IDs on our work phones will Blackberry upload our contacts in an effort to connect us to other Blackberry ID users? Some of the functionality listed such as screen sharing are very exciting features. However, we do not want to overly expose ourselves to other corporations.

No. BB ID is a method of registering one BB to one BB ID account hosted in the BB infrastructure. It is used for a number of different things, and is actually required for many things (including BBM usage, AppWorld, Travel, etc.). BlackBerry has been in the process of consolidating all of their proprietary services under the umbrella of the BB ID so as to better facilitate device swaps for end users...all the end user has to do is use their existing BB ID on a new device and all of those BB proprietary services (and data) shift over to the new device.

Now, as for contacts, if you mean strictly BBM contacts, then yes...ever since BBM7, the BBM contacts are not technically stored on the device. Rather, they are stored on the BB servers as per the BB ID. But as far as I've ever seen, no such "sharing" and auto-connecting has ever happened.

Some carriers offer services to backup contacts and such to their servers...and what they do with data mining of that, if anything, is theirs, not BlackBerry's.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thank you for your help. I'm a bit more comfortable with the BB ID portion knowing that it is only other BB ID users that are catalogued.

The map would be nice if it functioned like Google Maps. Google Maps on the Bold will simply remember your last view and open that every time you open your maps. It can use location data but it does not make it a requirement. There really should be no requirement for location data if you only want to see a map on your phone. Obviously, things like GPS will not function.

Thanks again.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, I guess it comes down to the assumed utility. Consider...I am in Beijing when I use my GPS and maps, then I shut them down. I am next in Paris...there would logically be no utility to displaying for me any last saved map location from China.

I used to use Google Maps but don't recall that last saved map function...I suppose that every time I launch maps of any sort, I want to have information relative to where I am at that moment (as per device GPS) rather than where I might have been at some point in the past.

In any event, I think that the app design considerations used by the Google developers was different from what the BBMaps developers used. And that's just the way it is.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................