Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: three

Can not add words in Personal dictionary in Z10

HI ALL<br><br>I wonder if anyone is experiencing this or I'm just clueless...<br><br>I tried to add words couple times in the personal dictionary but always failed. The only word in the dictionary is &quot;false&quot; . I can not add more. Every time I add few words, it will add but then it goes back with only 'false' again. I've noticed too that when I was adding the words, sometime I can not type anything in the column so I had to go back to the previous page, then re-add the words...<br><br>I think there's a bug in my z10 or particularly in the personal dictionary<br><br>Can anyone help? I know blackberry won't... I think they're drinking champagne for the successful z10 launch without caring abt the after sales service... It sucks.. Too bad I'm stuck with this device because of work n my business... :s. Im saying this cause there are also some other problems and missing features in Z10 that have not been resolved or noticed.<br><br>AND, sorry a bit off topic, it's so hard to get an upgrade without worrying the phone will crash... In android, all I need to do is click ok, and voila, it's done without worrying it will crash and such... I heard iOS and windows also... So, I wonder if blackberry really understand the meaning of improvements and innovations... They need to get a new IT guy not marketing!<br><br>Sorry I'm so frustrated with blackberry<br><br>
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Can not add words in Personal dictionary in Z10

Hey dvk11,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the post.

What version of BlackBerry 10 are you using?  Go to Settings>About to find this information.  Can you give me some examples of words that you're trying to add so I can try to reproduce the issue?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Hi I'm using OS ver 10.261. The first version I believe. I bought it without any plan in Indonesia, and I doubt my operator knows anything about any upgrade, since the z10 is only officially launched a few days ago in Indonesia.

I don't dare to upgrade it myself, learning from past histories, how unstable upgrades from BlackBerry are.. (i.e, crashes, erased data etc) maybe you can also help me out on how I can upgrade it myself.

I can't give you examples without showing you how my personal dictionary folder looks like. And I have add lots of words, but none shows in the dictionary. Can I send you the screen capture maybe on how it looks? I don't think I can attach it here?

Basically, instead of my personal dictionary lists all the words that I have put (manually or with the +add to dictionary option) it only shows "Filter" in the column, and "False" in the dictionary's list, that's all.

And I hate how the keyboard keeps changing my typed words with theirs even after I turn off all the text predictions and none of those words were put in autotext too btw! Is this also a bug or its supposed to be acting like that? It's soo annoying.

Overall, I have to say z10 does not meet my expectations. The battery performance, input app feature, saving file mechanism, camera, no save as function in picture edit app, some of the missing features, its unstable app + very little 3rd parties apps options make z10 a disappointing device. It's hard to be loyal BlackBerry user if it continues to dissapoint..would not recommend it to friends for now Smiley Sad. Hope it can get fixed, considering the device is not cheap...
Contributor

Hi

No reply til now.. I guess Noone knows how to resolve this, even BlackBerry... typical..
Contributor
My Device: bb bold 9780
My Carrier: telus

Wow! That's gunna really suck if we can't add our Own words to the dictionary so that our device recognizes it's Our Own Words & how we Want these words typed!!! I've added 100's of my Own words into my BB-9780 Dictionary.

I can't believe that RIM left Out Sooo Many Features from it's Previous devices that us Users Loved about the device. How Stupid actually. I don't know Why BB/RIM didn't just Include our Old Features plus Add all the New features together. Very very Dumb to Not Include what we Already Loved about our previous BB's.

I've been reading sooo many Complaints about the Z10 that now I'm not sure if I'm going2 get either phone, Z10 or Q10.

I Love instant Redial on my 9780 bcuz all I do is hit SEND END SEND END. I'm told on the Z10 that U can not instantly Redial which sucks bcuz when calling in2 Radio Contest U wanna be able to Instantly END & SEND again when U get a busy signal bcuz U are Trying to be the correct caller to WIN!!! God I Pray U can Instantly Redial without going thru a big process of swiping etc. I pray Redialing is just as Quick on the Z10 & Q10 as it is on all of my Previous BB devices!!!!

And I Love being able to SELECT txt then COPY or CUT & then go2 where I want & PASTE. I read that it's Not this Simple on the Z10. Is this true? Is it a lot more Harder? And I read if U want2 COPY text in an email to PASTE elsewhere that apparantly it Won't allow U to do so without Copying the previous Senders Name of the email U want2 COPY certain pieces of text from. Is this true?

Are the BBZ10 & BBQ10 devices a lot More Complicated than previous BB's & did BB/RIM Exclude 100s of Options that we once had & Loved, including not being able2 make up Our Own list of words for the Dictionary to understand???

Thanks a lot in advance!
Kaycee
Contributor

Hi Kaycee

Thanks for pointing the same frustrations that I have. I also said in another forum, why can't bb just add to the existing features instead of trying too hard to completely reinvent the wheel.. stupid really..

My friends who bought z10 were all already frustrated and most of them said that z10 is so much more complicated & unstable compare to android or iOS. Especially having to deal with the missing features!

Wake up BB!

And can someone from BlackBerry reply me with a solution already? Thumbs down..

Too bad I'm stuck with the phone because of my work. But I know not to recommend it to my friends.. unless BlackBerry can have some fixes FaST!

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey dvk11,

Thanks for the reply.

I am unable to reproduce the issue as I have added several different words to my personal dictionary.

You can upload a screen shot and that could assist.

Hi KayceeP,

Copy and Paste selective text is very easy to do on the BlackBerry Z10, you tap and hold for a few seconds and on the right hand side and choose selective text and tap on the text again and choose copy and can paste it anywheres.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Hi

Here are the screen shots, hope it explains how any added words are never been successfully added here

1) I went to the "Edit Personal Dictionary" page

1 Edit personal dictionary page .png

2) In the personal dictionary, only 1 word: "False"

2 only 1 word false.jpg.png

3) As an example, I added the word "Mana" to my personal dictionary. As shown, it was added

3 add the word Mana.jpg.png

4. Then I closed the setting page

5. Afterwards, I went back again to the edit personal dictionary page to see if the word "Mana" is still there, and apparantly, NO, it's gone, again only left with "False

5 The word mana is gone left only with false.jpg.png

In addition, as mentioned: 

a) I can not use the pop out "Add to Dictionary" function while I'm typing. All the words that I added to dictionary using this pop out function, none were added, and I've added A LOT!. But as you can see, there's only 1 word in my dictionary: False

b) I can not delete the word "false". Eveytime I tried, it will get deleted but when I closed and reopen the setting page, it's back being there again. 

HELP!!! It's really really frustrating! It seems that there is a glitch in the software!! Please help me to fix it! Thanks

One note to add on the copy & paste... It's easy but need some trick.. so all in all, it's easier said than done! Everytime I wanted to copy & paste one whole paragraph, I had to carefully place the cursor at the correct words or letter. The problem comes when it's the first word, it will either move the whole page the right or no response or highlight a different word. It needs precision which is difficult when you're trying to do it fast or in a hurry... Smiley Frustrated

Contributor

Dvk11, I agree about BB/RIM should have Kept All the sooo Loved OLD Features along with their NEW features. Afterall that's WHY we use BB in the first place. I don't know Why they would worry about being like everyone else & Forget WHY people fell in Love & use BB to begin with.

VisciousFerrett, Thank You for answering my Questions & Concerns. Unfortunately I'm almost at a place where if I get a New BB it's gunna just be an Older Model like the Torch or something that has both Physical & Touch but with all the OLD features I Love BB for!

And in the meantime, Pray BB/RIM comes out with a NEW BB that Includes Both Old & New Features and make it more people EZ Friendly to use. Unlike what I've been reading bcuz I'm reading More Negatives about the Z10 than Positives, that's 4Sure!!!

But I guess all in all, Time will tell??? Who knows, maybe with all I'm learning on here, Thanks to U VF, that maybe I will have Learned enuff to mak me wanna do the Big Switcharoo.

Hava good day,
Kaycee Smiley Happy
Contributor

Hey Dvk11

Here's what Viscious Ferrett said to me in above post. I've Easily copied & pasted his Reply using my BB-Bold9780 by hitting Menu, Select Text, Copy & Paste.....

From visciousferrett on Copy & Paste:

Hi KayceeP,

Copy and Paste selective text is very easy to do on the BlackBerry Z10, you tap and hold for a few seconds and on the right hand side and choose selective text and tap on the text again and choose copy and can paste it anywheres.

Well dvk11 I hope these steps Help U. Let me know hey!
Thanks!
Kaycee Smiley Happy