Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: Koodo
Accepted Solution

Can't delete email account (unauthenticated) / Can't authenticate email account with different SMTP and IMAP servers (one gmail)

After updating the OS on my Z10 last night to 10.1.0.4181 (software) / 4633 (OS), all of my configured accounts asked for credentials to be verified. Looks like now it's using some sort of OAuth mechanism -- worked well for my Gmail accounts with two-factor auth.

One of my accounts I have Gmail as the IMAP server (using a regular gmail.com account), but a different SMTP server, with the address on another domain. I'm using Gmail as my email client, basically.

After upgrading, I'm asked to authenticate, but at one point, someone on my domain set up Google Apps. It was never used for anything. I'm asked to enter *that* password via Google. I don't have it, and that's NOT the account I'm trying to log in to. (I want an IMAP server of gmail.com with user name me@gmail.com and SMTP of me@smtp.example.com.)

So I'm stuck... can't authenticate.

Even worse: I also can't delete the account! The delete option isn't even available until after you've re-authenticated. Because I can't delete the account, I can't try to add it again separately -- I get an error saying the account is already configured.

Any options aside from waiting for the next OS update or doing a wipe/restore?

(Wipe/restore really is not an option for me, given it takes several hours, and the last time I was forced to restore, I lost a fair amount of data which I then had to manually enter in by restoring to my old 9790 and then typing it in on my Z10. Not up for taking that risk again.)

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: Can't delete email account (unauthenticated) / Can't authenticate email account with different SMTP and IMAP servers (one gmail)

Try this:

Open an email account with the same emailadress and account information but as a pop account. synch the account. Both accounts now appear in a new subaccount. Now you can delete both accounts together. It worked for me...

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE

Re: Can't delete email account (unauthenticated) / Can't authenticate email account with different SMTP and IMAP servers (one gmail)

Hi Torpesco - a bunch of us have had the same issue... there is a workaround (see threads here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/GMail-OS-updated-to-10-1-0-4181-Email-doesn-t-...

and this solution post - http://edriss-kb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/blackberry-z10-imapgmail-problem-and-os.html )

But basically, Blackberry need to figure this one out, and fix it.I'm using Gmail in the same way as you, and if this isn't sorted out i will need to change to Android....

Hope these links help Smiley Happy
Developer

Thanks for the help, bb_user_ch and joesparrow. Now to find the time to try out the suggestions. Hopefully the POP3 one since that sounds faster, but 10.2 sounds pretty nice.
Developer

bb_user_ch wrote:

Try this:

Open an email account with the same emailadress and account information but as a pop account. synch the account. Both accounts now appear in a new subaccount. Now you can delete both accounts together. It worked for me...

This worked for me when I created the new account using exactly the same settings, but POP. Didn't work to just create the POP version using Gmail only and afterwards change the SMTP server.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: Fido

how do I create a pop account if the email I'm trying to setup is "@m3materials.com"?