Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Seeking to be a bb user
My Carrier: Might change depending on the BB device offering

CompanionLink sync calendar,contact,notes with Outlook over USB?

[ Edited ]

For years, I've been wrestling with the choice of what to migrate to from my hobbly 1st generation iPod Touch.  A replacement for my cellphone and the Touch, augmented with a data plan.  I am not a natural fan of the Apple cult design philosophy, nor the cavalier security model of Android.  Furthermore, I have modest no-nonsense requirements in terms of apps -- I need a secure and efficient to organize my info and priorities, not play Mario Brothers over the web with my garage door opener, or some other frivolous distraction.

The advent of Blackberry 10 was a huge relief.  However, I've been reading about the wrinkle with nonwireless 2-way syncing with Outlook, encompassing calendar, contacts, and notes.  The latest rumours I've found online about the ETA is end of 2013, and I'm not sure how much uncertainty there is in that forecast.  Consequently, I decided to explore the option of buying CompanionLink.  I have only found one personal anecdote during my web search, and I'll refrain from describing it here.  To get an idea of the quality of the solutio, it was suggested to me to post on a CompanionLink forum, but that might not be the best way to get a balanced view of the product.  I figure that a Blackberry forum would be more objective.

Can anyone who has jumped into the CompanionLink pool please share their anecdote of how well it works?  Anything that you consider worthwhile, as I may not be able to anticipate all the potentially significant points.

A particular behaviour that I'm hoping won't be in CompanionLink is what I experienced in syncing between Outlook and the iPod Touch via the iTunes app on the PC.  If an item (e.g. a note) changed both on Outlook on the PC and on the device, the user must choose which one is the correct one, and must make this choice on the fly.  If the conflicted item contained a lot of information, it would be hard to make the comparison on the fly.  The correct way to handle this would be to allow the user to choose that both versions of the item kept, effectively yielding two instances of the item.  The user can then use text comparison tools to reconcile the two versions e.g.  vim, diff, Word, etc.  Palm replicated conflicted items, but they've been out of the picture for a long time.

Thanks for any anecdotes on CompanionLink.

Afternote: Oh, and if anyone can point to past examples of a platform vendor changing hands, an the fate of the platforms, thanks for sharing that, too.  It is an overwhelming factor in how I decide to go forward.