Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: att

Re: Creating a distribution list

Distribution lists are more than basic option. They are basic necessity! I will have to change phones unless this is added.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Does anyone at Blackberry read these messages???

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello BBBeast,

as stated in the pargraph at the top of this very page, this forum is peer-to-peer. BlackBerry employees very rarely read this forum.

if you want BlackBerry to get your complain, complain to your carrier (Rogers). Once Rogers get enough complains, they will contact BlackBerry about it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 9700
My Carrier: Bell Canada

I am currently testing the idea of Exchange (2010) Distribbution Group as a means of fixing this issue.  Since a dist. group in Exchange is represented by a single email address, there's no reason it won't work on any mobile phone though.  I assume that replies from group members would come directly from their own address. 

The fact that Z10 doesn't allow creation of a dist. group is weird.  My guess is it's a way to prevent spambot viruses or who knows what, from using your phone as a zombie.  Otherwise maybe it's on a planned release later. 

But I agree, it should have been there to start with - BlackBerry is first and foremost a businss-focused mobility platform and it should be able to do what everybody universally would agree are basic business tasks for an email client.  Again though, perhaps it's because of enterprise management - say you have 1000 BB users, all with their own perosnal dist. lists - that becomes unmanagable or you instead have to train 1000 users on how to use Exchange lists vs. personal BB ones.  Who knows.  Bottom line:  customer perception is everything, and the perception is that these phones can't do a basic email task that everybody considers essential. 

Also just a brief response to Xandrex's comment that BB dosent read the forums.  They should.  As an example, Symantec does a great job of assigning support agents to monitor and particupate in their forums.  BB needs to do the same.  They need to harvest customer feedback that comes through these forums, and respond, actively.  To do that requires a new strategy and a paradigm shift in customer interaction. 

Right now this "business as usual" approach BlackBerry is taking (on many fronts, not just the forums) is the reason why they're on the verge of going out of business or being taken over.  I'm frankly amazed at how they are squandering their chance at really taking back real market share.  Not just with the forums of course, but with many things they're doing.  Apple has terrible EMM and Android is a hodgepodge of mixed madness on the EMM and security front so if BB would perhaps align itself with Microsoft and make the tools on BB work as robustly as say, Outlook, you'd see some real loyalty happen. 

I hate to be so critical but I really think they put so much effort into making a new mobility platform, they neglected to realize that it's the "business as usual" approach that they take with everything else the company does that landed them in the spot they're in, in the first place.  Granted axing 1000's of jobs creates a culture of apathy and fear, so who can possibly innovate under such circumstances, but even so as an outside person, a customer, I find it disappointing that they didn't see a need to make more fundamental changes.  Such as being active in the forums, which btw are the most effective means of identifying frustration points for customers because that's where you see the real complaining, unfiltered generally. 

Wow, sorry looks like I sent on a rant Smiley Happy Anyway, hopefully BB will sharpen up. 

Guru I

hi,

it may be a rant but this is an opinion that is shared by many people (I guess).

About the feedback part, I do believe that there is a difference between this forum (which aim is to search for support), and that will contain issues from small ones "where is the SMS icon" to hard ones.

The forum here is provided by BlackBerry. The company expects it :

1. to deliver support
  2. also serves as a means to get some feedback indeed, and to feel the anger of customers when things get really ugly (like the 2-way sync in BB Link between a BB10 phone and the Outlook client).

This second part is already done, even though you do not get a direct acknowledgement.

Now the part where you say "business as usual", is the fact that in the TOC of your device, when you bought it, there is a special section that stipulates that the support is handled by the carrier. This is the deal. You are a carrier client, and the carrier is a BlackBerry client. So the usual way of making BlackBerry aware of your anger, is to tell your carrier about it.
Once the carrier gets enough complaints, the theory is that at some point they will also complain about that to BlackBerry.
This process looks quite like what happens in how a country is ruled. You complain to the mayor, then the mayor goes up and at some point it reaches the ministry.

Of course, this depends on the quality of the customer relationship provided by your carrier.

About innovation and features.
I think we all know here that people have good ideas. BlackBerry and Apple and Google and Microsoft, all have nearly the same good ideas filling up their shelves. They simply think and decide differently on which one should be worked first.
For example :
HP 10 years ago was the first to add WiFi sharing on their digital cameras, but at the time no one cared about that.
Apple decided to release the first iPhone without a copy/paste feature. Did it matter at the time? no.

The question is about execution. Once you bring a feature, does it provide a good service to the user. For example Samsung also has some kind of "timeshift" mode for the cameras. But unfortunately you cannot choose the faces, so in the end their implementation adds a second head to statues or to dogs.

I think that if you look at the past two years, BlackBerry and Microsoft have done more in terms of innovations than Apple and Google. Let's face it: the two OSes that are less than 3 years old are BlackBerry10 and WindowsPhone, each with differentiators at the core of the OS, and that can be felt in each app. Live Tiles, Hub, gestures, and so on.

But this is a discussion. Let's get back to the now missing features. There are many features (several dozens) that were available in BlackBerry7 BlackBeeey6 and even in OS5, and that are not available in BlackBerry10. Some that I miss a lot myself.

People are angry because they think that BlackBerry10 is an evolution of BlackBerry7, but it is not. The motto "redesigned, reinvented, reengineered" explains it (poorly though).

It is something else, just like when Apple revealed MacOS X.

This is truly a revolution, and as such, decisions were made to decide which features were mandatory for day 1, and which could wait.

And my belief is that the process to splint between the two categories, was made based on two things:

1. what BlackBerry thinks of a feature: "is it used by more than 80% of the smartphone users?".
  2. what BlackBerry believes is shortterm or longterm.

Categories in outlook are short term. Because outlook.com won't support them, because WindowsPhone smartphones soon won't either. the Outlook model at Microsoft is changing a lot (contacts won't be the same at all), so BlackBerry has, in my opinion, worked on what they know will still be there.

distribution lists are not used by 80% of the smartphone users. In a company, it is natural to create distribution lists, or shared mailboxes.

Shared mailboxes were not available in BlackBerry7 and prior. They are now.

ActiveSync was not available in BlackBerry7 and prior (except if you use BES Express or BES5). It is now.

So there are many enhancements that were brought, and indeed some rarely used features, or some power-user features, were removed.

This is evolution. You add new features, and remove old ones, and sometimes old ones will take time to come back.

BlackBerry is really trying hard to move forward. This sentence does not mean anything so my interpretation is that :

• no, BlackBerry is NOT trying to do "the same as before, but better"
  • yes, BlackBerry is trying very hard to eat marketshares from Apple, Google, and Microsoft. And they success quite well (which had never been the case in the past) since only half of Z10 users had a BlackBerry as their previous phone.
  • yes, BlackBerry is believing there is enough momentum and good features in BlackBerry10, that will keep power users from going to Apple or Google.

the last part is indeed the part that is the most unsure one, from what I can see.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: 2013
My Carrier: 2013

I have seen this when I am fwding an email but still doesn't solve my issue. I still have to believe that everyone who emails needs this and that since it was available on older Blackberries that it shouldn't be difficult to fix this issue with a software update. Hey Blackberry, HELP!

Guru I

hello lara_19800,

I advise you contact your carrier and tell them that.

Regular Contributor

Hi Xandrex,

I defer t oyour better knowledge of things with BB.  Thanks for your insight.  I only know that I find it odd that a features is missing that I think most people that use a BB in a team collaborative environment would agree should be there. 

Most of my frustration came from little things, like when the Z10 and BB 10 first came out, I had a hard time finding whatI needed for information on this website, often the BES5 and BES10 info was intermixed on searches so half the time I did not know if I was reading BES5 or BES10.  They soon after began to release more structured guidance on adoptiong BB 10 which indicates they recognized things were not sufficient at the time. 

Anyway, just a final thought - I think it's a bad idea to rely on a middle-man to gather all your valuable customer feedback.  Most people (certainly not me) would not waste time calling some frontline agent at Bell or AT&T - half the time those people are poorly trained and don't have answers.  Not an attack on them as people, but often front-line agents tend to get 2-3 weeks training, then given a script to follow for troubleshooting and don't know how to handle exception situations.  If I were BlackBerry, I would focus on ways to get direct feedback more. 

I do feel for the folks at BB, quite frankly their leadership has failed them and they deserve better. 

Guru I

for the missing features, I do not find that odd.
If I were to need distribution lists, I would never make them on the client side, if would force everyone to duplicate the distribution lists content, and if you want to add someone you have to ask everyone to add it and so on.

Centralization (= cloud) is good for this kind of collaboration tool.

But it is just my personal opinion.

about fetching feedback. BlackBerry can either rely on their partners (in this case their clients, meaning the carriers), or rely on internal resources.
If it is internal resources, then are you, as en end-user client, willing to pay your BlackBerry phones 200USD more expensive for that service? (this is what is done by Apple for instance, and the user is not given any choice).

Regular Contributor

I go tsome dumb "authentication ticket mismatch" erorr when posting my reply and of course the forum software lost my post.  Oh well. 

In short I was just saying that I agree, it makes sense to centralize this management.  jMaybe there are some people though that creat dist. lists that include people outside the org though, but I don't know what % of user population does that.  BB would have to survey 1000's of usrs to get a feel for that.