Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Qtel

Extreme Data Use by Q10

Hello,

I have been a BB user for many many years and I just upgraded my phone to Q10 and I discovered that it consumes huge lot of data. Is there any way we can stop the attachments on the emails being downloaded.

Thanks,
Nizam from Qatar
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Extreme Data Use by Q10

Even without those email attachments being downloaded, you're still going to see a huge increase in your data usage over older BlackBerry devices.  Legacy devices used BIS which compressed the data to your phone.  Continuing your current surfing habits, you can expect to use about three times more data with a BB10 device.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Super Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

You can expect a 3 to 6 times increase without compression.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Yes I learn this the hard when I got my bill lol but in all seriousness you should have more then 500mb if you going to use data I switched over to 1 GB and that isn't enough because of instagram & twitter!

you can get Data Monitoring app 

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25739873/

My Carrier: Qtel

So the only option is to switch to higher data plan Smiley Sad.. Very disappointing.

I ended up paying almost 1000 USD in 2 days when I bought this fone for the 1st time. It downloaded almost 6 GB of data from my POP3..
Super Contributor

Is your high charges because you are roaming from another country? I recommend getting a new SIM when traveling.

If you are having high data charges in your home country, need to switch data plans.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 (previously had a Pearl Flip 8230)
My Carrier: Bell

What information are the estimates for increased data usage based on? I've read comments which estimate 50% increase over current usage to 3-6 times the data usage when changing from a legacy BIS device (BB6 Torch) to a BB10 device?
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Increased Data consumption really depends on how you use your BB10 phone.  As an MP3 player?  For emails?  As a web browser?

Before BB10, the previous OS used a BIS which offered compression.  With BB10 you no longer have any data compression with the BIS.

I'm having troubles finding the exact old BIS promotion material that stated 3 to 6 times compression.

noy
New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Smart

HI Im using a consumable data plan. Meaning i subscribe only to 300Mb monthly then Id have to pay again for more data. Last night i stil had 175Mb to consume. When I woke up this morning it was all gone. I cant understand how this happened. However i noticed this problem started when i updated to 10.2.0.415. This month I have consumed over 600Mb already when usually only consume 200Mb monthly. I only use data for email and some facebook. Never streaming. Only stream when on wifi. 

Im trying to find the stop auto update feature but cant seem to find it. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
I recommend you do the following....
  • Go to Settings, Network Connections, Mobile Network, Data Services.... set to OFF. Only turn this on when you are willing to have data used. See if this reduces your data burn rate.
  • make sure wifi is turned on, especially when in the house to minimize consumption. I assume you have home wifi.  Is the phone in an area of poor wifi coverage and forcing the phone to go to data when you sleep?
  • it's been discussed that after any OS update, there is background updates for a week. In addition to data consumption, people notice battery consumption is higher too.
  • Go to Blackberry World, My World, My Apps & Games, Updates.... do you see anything listed on the Updates tab? Force those updates to finish while you are on wifi.
  • go to sign onto your carrier account and then see if there is a usage/consumption screen. Does it show what hour or when data is consumed? Are you watching videos? Or browsing the web? Skype? I know skype is doing things in the background checking for incoming calls and messages. Weather apps also run in the background to display current conditions on the screen. Sports & News apps are constantly retrieving info.  I made the mistake of leaving a Map application running in the background while sleeping in a motel.... racking up roaming charges.
  • upswipe and look closely at what you are running. You need to find out what you are running in the background while you are sleeping.